Our partner

Are there some fictional characters you relate to?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: realityhere

Are there some fictional characters you relate to?

Postby Cassandre » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:32 pm

Basically, are there fictional characters you relate to, empathize with or find sympathetic? This thread idea comes from a recent thread where XDude mentioned the TV show The Boys.

(While I like threads that are analytical, my question pertains more to ordinary self-expression)
Cassandre
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:50 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Are there some fictional characters you relate to?

Postby AProphet » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:42 pm

I always liked the joker for some reason. Wanted to be evil. And a mastermind. But never could. I had to be self abusive instead.
AProphet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:50 pm

Postby Akuma » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:41 am

Cassandre wrote: This thread idea comes from a recent thread where XDude mentioned the TV show The Boys.

(While I like threads that are analytical, my question pertains more to ordinary self-expression)

Thanks for mentioning it btw, I stumbled over the thread (I think?) and binged it. Quite good. Tried Avengers a day later. Made it to 12minutes lol. Horrible.

Basically, are there fictional characters you relate to, empathize with or find sympathetic?

I think I exclusively relate to fictional characters. Personality wise probably Nagato Yuki comes to mind, both in terms of liking the character and in terms of certain quirks that we share. In terms of how I'd like to be, probably Shouyo Hinata, because he's quite the opposite of me, open, energetic, not controlled or blocked at all. All characters in this series are enjoyable and likable though so it would be hard to decide.
Theres another character that had a very interesting thing which I found very fitting for my own situation, but I cant remember the name now. He had the problem that he wanted to die all the time, but was immortal. He would only turn mortal in the rare moments that he actually wanted to live.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ZeroZ » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:40 pm

Travis Bickle from Taxi driver quite a bit actually and I think a lot of people I know irl would agree. I’ve been compared to Dexter from the show because he just does his thing and doesn’t give two shlts about anyone around him for the most part and although he seems nice, there is something off with him.
ZeroZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Cassandre » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:49 pm

AProphet wrote:I had to be self abusive instead.

What kind of self abuse?

Akuma wrote:Thanks for mentioning it btw, I stumbled over the thread (I think?) and binged it.

Glad you like it. Won't try Avengers, I promise!

Akuma wrote:Theres another character that had a very interesting thing which I found very fitting for my own situation, but I cant remember the name now. He had the problem that he wanted to die all the time, but was immortal. He would only turn mortal in the rare moments that he actually wanted to live.

Befitting indeed :)

ZeroZ wrote:Travis Bickle from Taxi driver quite a bit actually and I think a lot of people I know irl would agree. I’ve been compared to Dexter from the show because he just does his thing and doesn’t give two shlts about anyone around him for the most part and although he seems nice, there is something off with him.

I asked about your MBTI type in the ASPD forum, you did not answer. Both my father and partner were/are ISTPs and I thought you may be one too. They had/have this cool arrogance mixed with reserved politeness.

Travis Bickle is said to be an ISTP, so is Dexter Morgan (at least according to me he is...)

I may be wrong but I am mentioning this because some issues tend to vanish when we nourish the personality underneath.
Cassandre
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby xdude » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:16 pm

"The Boys" was appealing to me, because I love the idea of turning things upside down, and that show did it. It was such a refreshing re-thought of the idea, if I had super powers would I end up being good or a power hungry abusive person?

That was the reason to watch it, it was such a good a compelling idea to ask that. I won't spoil but enjoyed it for the question, or questions it raised.
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
xdude
Site Admin

Postby flightrisk » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:16 pm

A somewhat obscure reference, but for some reason I relate to the character Eloise in J.D. Salinger's "Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut". It's a completely different era and context but somehow still relatable.
Shattered fantasies, I suppose.

Also admire Eponine from Les Miserables, for rejecting her horrid parents' lifestyle and seeking redemption.
flightrisk
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby xdude » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:18 pm

p.s. I always choose to help out the little guy, but this is a great topic.
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
xdude
Site Admin

Postby ZeroZ » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:27 pm

Cassandre wrote:
ZeroZ wrote:Travis Bickle from Taxi driver quite a bit actually and I think a lot of people I know irl would agree. I’ve been compared to Dexter from the show because he just does his thing and doesn’t give two shlts about anyone around him for the most part and although he seems nice, there is something off with him.

I asked about your MBTI type in the ASPD forum, you did not answer. Both my father and partner were/are ISTPs and I thought you may be one too. They had/have this cool arrogance mixed with reserved politeness.

Travis Bickle is said to be an ISTP, so is Dexter Morgan (at least according to me he is...)

I may be wrong but I am mentioning this because some issues tend to vanish when we nourish the personality underneath.

I have no idea what my MBTI type is to be honest, I probably did the test when I was evaluated but that was so long ago and I didn’t really know what I was filling out at the time. The parts I identify with in Bickle is he works and works has made plenty of money but really doesn’t care about it, he lives very basic in his apartment, he struggles to make connections to people and is seen by others as odd and he has an underlying distaste/contempt for what he sees as society turning into filth. I don’t really know what type that makes me
ZeroZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Greebo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:21 am

Usually find this easier to do with real people but off the top of my head...

Related to in the sense of saw as temperamentally similar, rather than enjoyed or most of found most sympathetic.

Lupin, Will Somerset, Li Mu Bai, Alan Shore, Faramir, Joan Watson, Olivia Dunham, Luther, Brenda Chenowith, Sisko’s Beard, Hulk (minus the green monster bit).

Taken to its darkest extreme my personality would probably end up a lot like Kurtz.

Found most charismatic/sympathetic

Snape, san dan glokta, Esmeralda weatherwax, Bane, Vimes, Sam Gamgee, Elim Garak, Matthew shardlake, Katie Loyd, Commodus, Walter Bishop etc.
Greebo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:50 pm

Next

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post