Our partner

Am I Narcissistic?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: realityhere

Am I Narcissistic?

Postby TheUnknownofall » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:23 pm

If so, I am wondering which one I am.

I feel better than just about everyone.

I feel intellectual superior.

I do feel somewhat of empathy, at rare times tho.
TheUnknownofall
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:39 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Am I Narcissistic?

Postby Ubinix800 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:33 pm

Well I'm not an expert but I'll give it my best shot.

Overt NPD isn't related to self-esteem or shame, and it's a completely separate construct from vulnerable NPD. The causes are debated.

Vulnerable NPD is caused by 'a denial' of low self-esteem, inadequacy and shame.

If you believe above all odds that you are superior to others to an almost delusional level, and you virtually never have fluctuations in your self-esteem, and there is some clear reason from your upbringing why you think this is the case, it's probably overt.

If you just consciously use the feelings of superiority to 'prop up' your self-esteem, and on an unconscious level you feel inadequate, very self-critical about your shortcomings, often feel shame, and you've come to notice that your very sensitive with easily hurt feelings, your probability covert or compensatory.

There's a 23-point scale here for covert narcissism if you want a look: https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/be ... introvert/
BDD and vulnerable narcissism/avpd traits.
Ubinix800
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:39 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post