Our partner

Best therapy for narcissism

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: realityhere

Re: Best therapy for narcissism

Postby flightrisk » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:31 am

I didn't find therapy helpful, to be honest. I kept my therapist at arms length, although I could fill a session with entertaining nonsense, and when he pushed me I vanished.
flightrisk
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:00 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Greebo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:14 am

Never encountered therapies for personality issues however my main sticking points with psychologists/psychiatrists have been (from most common to least common).
  • Being treated and an interesting specimen and spending all the time talking about my neurological/sensory oddities.
  • MHPs failing to commit to an opinion, so there’s a lot of ‘hmmm’, ‘interesting’, ‘it’s complicated...’, ‘it’s difficult...’ etc.
  • Getting overly hung up on the clobbering I took in my early teens.

I dunno if it’s a problem or I should just be greatful that I’ve got on with the MHPs I’ve encountered (post porph obviously) but there is almost always a degree of role blurring/reversal the longer I see a certain therapist. We spend more and more time discussing their issues, and it seems like all sessions increasingly tend towards heart to heart coffee shop style conversations. Every few months they’ll realise that we aren’t really doing anything, or I’ll given them a prod in the direction of therapy but it degerates back in less than half a session. It’s nice enough I guess but it’s never felt either challenging or productive. Consequently most of my experience of therapists has been as people to have a nice chat with and bounce ideas off of.

ZeroZ wrote:I’ve been having recurring fantasies about confronting and killing a mass shooter in an exchange of gun fire, sometimes I live to become a sort of hero, sometimes I die and become a bigger hero. Should I tell my T? I can’t afford time off for a hospital stay. I feel like she will make a big deal out of this or something

Unless you’re actively planning to track down a mass shooter to have your own O.K. Corral moment, I recon you’d be fine with that one.
Greebo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:00 am

Postby Akuma » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:28 am

Curiously my main complaint about therapy atm would be [apart from the usual its not working, were not getting anywhere], thats its not an authentic relationship. Aside from the complications that treating a dissociative person with no emotional perception brings, I don't think I really get how I am supposed to relate to a person who ultimately only works with me because I'm a job, or where I have a limited amount of time. It seems useless and fake. Then again my mood is horrible these days anyways, I'm having 2 migraines a week, I'm suicidal, I feel generally depressed and horrible so probably my perception is not accurate. But when the main aim of therapy is basically to make you more aware of how $#%^ your life is with a person you can't do anything with except for making appointments, then I'm not sure how long I'm still going to continue with that crap.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:00 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ZeroZ » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:27 am

Honestly for me anyway therapy is only been useful as sort of a tracking beacon, think about what I was going on about last session and how much is going on now. There is an accountability factor too it, not pointed out by the T but something I realize myself by thinking about last session and how much has actually changed about my priorities in such a short time. I don’t know exactly what to do with this information but it’s certainly a level of insight I did not have before, so that has to be a positive.

With that said my best coping mechanisms in the past, training in the gym, my dog, dating have all fallen into that background and are practically non-existent, mainly through a lack of interest in everything on planet earth,

I also feel like obsessing about things in my life was making me more sick, instead of just using therapy as a tool and not letting it consume too much of my thoughts. Maybe there is an element of that going on with you Akuma? Reading too much and thinking too much about the situation instead of thinking about other things that could improve your quality of life?
Currently out of order
ZeroZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby xdude » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:54 am

Akuma wrote:I don't think I really get how I am supposed to relate to a person who ultimately only works with me because I'm a job, or where I have a limited amount of time. It seems useless and fake.

I have the same issue, and it's related to why therapy hasn't worked for me yet. I can't stop being aware, I am paying this person by the minute, and it can also be a step backwards. Thanks, I love being reminded I am a job, which goes back to the original issues.

I think with other doctors, I expect an outcome, and they strive for an outcome, so I am okay with it, but therapy remains a mess. I've tried, and trying again, but yea, understood why it can seem useless for people with cluster B thinking. About the only thing that has been helpful is your job is to be a sounding board, and now I am going to spew. Spew sometimes is at least a release.
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
xdude
Site Admin

Postby realityhere » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:16 pm

" About the only thing that has been helpful is your job is to be a sounding board, and now I am going to spew. Spew sometimes is at least a release."

Sometimes spewing is the difficult part for some ppl.
We don't delete posts, so think twice before clicking "submit".
realityhere
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:00 pm

Postby xdude » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:29 am

realityhere wrote:Sometimes spewing is the difficult part for some ppl.

Nod. I have heard that before too, some people won't even talk much in therapy without a lot of prompting. I guess the problem for me is I still end up quitting when I reach that point of now of brought up those old memories again, but now what? Intellectual understanding only takes it so far.

I do get though why some people conclude it isn't help (or at least not helping now, maybe at some point later it could).
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
xdude
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post