Our partner

Best therapy for narcissism

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: realityhere

Re: Best therapy for narcissism

Postby Akuma » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:34 am

Philonoe wrote:It's ok if not too difficult.

I've looked again but I dont think theres a part that makes sense if quoted.
Closest thing is a talk the author gave, which is very tangential though, but maybe its interesting for you nonetheless.

http://www.melanie-klein-trust.org.uk/d ... SCRIPT.pdf
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:50 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Philonoe » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:40 pm

Akuma thank you for the link. I began the first one of Horton that is very related to the question.

It seem that it's difficult question. It s interesting though.

In the first article they speak of parenting style. It seems that they don t speak of rejection that seem to me is present to different degree in parenting ?
Philonoe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:50 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Philonoe » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:09 pm

I reread. They talk about three components

- warmth ie responsiveness acceptance etc

- monitoring ie practical control

- psychological control ie guilttripping etc.

In my family there was much of the last one.

In people around me including this forums it seems to me that there are more extreme attitude like physical agression, sexual abuse, abandonment, verbal agression, symbolic incest, rejection etc.

Is it just what i imagine or have you same experience?
Philonoe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby AProphet » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:44 am

Internal Family Systems Model

The Internal Family Systems Model (IFS) is an integrative approach to individual psychotherapy developed by Richard C. Schwartz. It combines systems thinking with the view that mind is made up of relatively discrete subpersonalities each with its own viewpoint and qualities. IFS uses family systems theory to understand how these collections of subpersonalities are organized.

Parts

IFS sees consciousness as composed of a central self with three types of subpersonalities or parts: managers, exiles, and firefighters. Each individual part has its own perspective, interests, memories, and viewpoint. A core tenet of IFS is that every part has a positive intent for the person, even if its actions or effects are counterproductive or cause dysfunction. This means that there is never any reason to fight with, coerce, or try to eliminate a part; the IFS method promotes internal connection and harmony.

Parts can have either extreme roles or healthy roles. IFS focuses on parts in extreme roles because they are in need of transformation through therapy. IFS divides these parts into three types—managers, exiles, and firefighters.

Managers are parts with preemptive protective roles. They handle the way a person interacts with the external world to protect them from being hurt by others and try to prevent painful or traumatic feelings and experiences from flooding a person's awareness.

Exiles are parts that are in pain, shame, fear, or trauma, usually from childhood. Managers and firefighters try to exile these parts from consciousness, to prevent this pain from coming to the surface.

Firefighters are parts that emerge when exiles break out and demand attention. These parts work to distract a person's attention from the hurt or shame experienced by the exile by leading them to engage in impulsive behaviors like overeating, drug use, violence, or having inappropriate sex. They can also distract from the pain by causing a person to focus excessively on more subtle activities such as overworking or over-medicating.

Self

IFS also sees people as being whole, underneath this collection of parts. Everyone has a true self or spiritual center, known as the Self to distinguish it from the parts. Even people whose experience is dominated by parts have access to this Self and its healing qualities of curiosity, connectedness, compassion, and calmness. IFS sees the therapist's job as helping the client to disentangle themselves from their parts and access the Self, which can then connect with each part and heal it, so that the parts can let go of their destructive roles and enter into a harmonious collaboration, led by the Self. IFS explicitly recognizes the spiritual nature of the Self, allowing the model to be helpful in spiritual development as well as psychological healing.

-wikipedia
AProphet
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Philonoe » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:49 pm

Never heard about it. it sounds interesting, it seems to be centered on trust in the person and its capacity of healing.
Philonoe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby AProphet » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:55 pm

Each individual part has its own perspective, interests, memories, and viewpoint.

I can confirm this from my experience. Seperate memories and interests.And separate things they can (or cant) know. Seperate thoughts they can have.
AProphet
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby ThisEndUp » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:48 am

They used to not believe people with personality disorders could get better, but I have read that they have had a lot of success with schema therapy, especially with borderline Personality disorder

-- Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:48 am --

They used to not believe people with personality disorders could get better, but I have read that they have had a lot of success with schema therapy, especially with borderline Personality disorder
Due To Circumstances Beyond My Control I am Master of My Fate and Captain of My Soul http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/AdultsRecoveringFrom-NarcissiticParents/messages
ThisEndUp
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ZeroZ » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:04 pm

I had the weirdest experience in therapy last time I went. We were discussing an ex I dated who occasionally pops back into the picture and I was going on talking about how things ended last time and the therapist said something like “and that’s when you get nasty “ it was very unexpected and out of context and caught me completely off guard, BUT the weird part is I must have heard her say it and understood the meaning but it didn’t compute in my head for a good second or two, at which point she was no longer talking and just looking at me. Like I initially chose not to hear that, I’m not sure if that’s some sort of dissociation as I’ve had different forms of that before but this is the first time I’ve ever noticed anything like this.
I don’t like people
ZeroZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:50 am

Postby Cassandre » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:22 pm

ZeroZ wrote:I had the weirdest experience in therapy last time I went. We were discussing an ex I dated who occasionally pops back into the picture and I was going on talking about how things ended last time and the therapist said something like “and that’s when you get nasty “ it was very unexpected and out of context and caught me completely off guard, BUT the weird part is I must have heard her say it and understood the meaning but it didn’t compute in my head for a good second or two, at which point she was no longer talking and just looking at me. Like I initially chose not to hear that, I’m not sure if that’s some sort of dissociation as I’ve had different forms of that before but this is the first time I’ve ever noticed anything like this.

Might be a fantasy vs reality thing. Whether it's parent-induced or a refuge, fantasy is what a child resort to to flee a reality that makes them feel inadequate.

Narcissistic fantasies have a splitting aspect to them: people, oneself can only be all good or all bad, thus considering oneself as omnibenevolent and closed ones as a reflection of this omnibenevolence. Many a times, I have found myself in the position of your therapist. At a crossroad, where you either choose to keep validating a narcissistic fantasy or make a factual observation that will chip at the fantasy. It's a complicated place to find yourself in, literally a Catch 22: to either keep the relation going on the basis of denial of reality or frustrate the person to the point where it might break the relationship.

The more talented the therapist, the more appropriate the timing and strength of the confontration. Kohut coined a term for that: optimal frustration. It's when a therapist elicits just about the right amount of frustration to challenge the patient, without producing a narcissistic injury, just as a really good parent would have.
Cassandre
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby ZeroZ » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:24 pm

I’ve been having recurring fantasies about confronting and killing a mass shooter in an exchange of gun fire, sometimes I live to become a sort of hero, sometimes I die and become a bigger hero. Should I tell my T? I can’t afford time off for a hospital stay. I feel like she will make a big deal out of this or something
I don’t like people
ZeroZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post