Our partner

Am I projecting

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: mark1958, Echinacea, realityhere

Am I projecting

Postby Solowolfpack » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:39 pm

Something I’ve noticed lately is I tend to look down on or even despise people for having the same issues I’ve had or doing the same sort of things. For instance I quite smoking atleast 10 years ago but I did smoke and now I look at people who smoke as disgusting losers with the will power of a pineapple. I do the same thing with other things as well, if I’m eating right I look at people getting fast food like herds of cattle being led around by their caloric deficiency. Is this projection?
Solowolfpack
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:49 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Am I projecting

Postby NevaCroix » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:05 pm

Really complicated question.
Maybe you are projecting inner thoughts you aren't aware?
For me, it looks more like you put others down who didn't meet your expectations?

Like I said .. complex.
NevaCroix
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:49 am

Postby Akuma » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:41 am

Solowolfpack wrote:Something I’ve noticed lately is I tend to look down on or even despise people for having the same issues I’ve had or doing the same sort of things. For instance I quite smoking atleast 10 years ago but I did smoke and now I look at people who smoke as disgusting losers with the will power of a pineapple. I do the same thing with other things as well, if I’m eating right I look at people getting fast food like herds of cattle being led around by their caloric deficiency. Is this projection?

Well its devaluation. Not sure about your diagnosis but if youre NPD or ASPD thats rather normal and its helpful in this case, because by this devaluation you turn those people into something you absolutely dont want to be like; so it supports you in stayin on track. What you could look for is, if you might see someone smoking or binge eating or whatever and theres part of yourself that really wants a smoke or really wants to eat some greasy horrid crap.
If you're looking for projection it would be more unconscious, harder to acknowledge and harder to move past. Judging by the theme of your post it would probably be about you feeling enslaved or weak or something.
This probably will be not relatable but as an example of how this could turn out in a person:
I am more of a listener guy and I think I have a ridiculous amount of disbelief in other people ever providing for me or meeting my needs; and I have some guy I know for ages who is a talker - in every sense of the word. So he's going to ######6 bite my ear off at the phone for hours and I'm having tremendous problems telling him to ###$ off. So instead of facing my own slavish weakness, which would necessitate doing something completely against my personality plus becoming more aware of connected themes, its easier pointing out to him what a weak ###$ he is for still smoking cigarettes - or weed - or for doing all sorts of weak crap.
So in that context, too you could investigate if there is some common themes that are "communicated" by the situations where that maybe projective behavior shows up; will probably be rather hard withotu an outside observer to point it out tho.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:49 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Solowolfpack » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:38 am

Devaluing that part of them that I don’t want back myself. That’s really interesting I’ve never looked at it like that before.
Solowolfpack
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:49 pm

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post