Our partner

support groups for narcs?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: mark1958, Echinacea, realityhere

support groups for narcs?

Postby Chemuel » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:54 am

It may be a weird idea to put a load of self-centered punks in a room and expect them to actually accomplish much, but still I thought people who have come to recognize their condition might be able to. Therefore, are there any support groups (physical or online) for narcs, is there some kind of infrastructure around? It's quite hard to find something, as the net is clogged with entries of support-groups for "victims" of narcs that happily commandeer the entire vocabulary. It's kind of my best bet right now, as it already took several years to find a therapist that did not send me away after five minutes and I had to move to another city...
Chemuel
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:58 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: support groups for narcs?

Postby Akuma » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:49 am

Chemuel wrote:It may be a weird idea to put a load of self-centered punks in a room and expect them to actually accomplish much, but still I thought people who have come to recognize their condition might be able to. Therefore, are there any support groups (physical or online) for narcs, is there some kind of infrastructure around? It's quite hard to find something, as the net is clogged with entries of support-groups for "victims" of narcs that happily commandeer the entire vocabulary. It's kind of my best bet right now, as it already took several years to find a therapist that did not send me away after five minutes and I had to move to another city...

Some clinics offer open groups at least here in Germany. You wont find any specific for NPD I guess as there are simply not enough people with the illness lookin for something like this but a lot of the issues also show up in other illnesses so if thats not an issue this might be something to inquire into.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:58 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Arthur » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:51 am

Where would you be most likely to find a group with a lot of narcissists?
Drug or other addiction groups? Depression? Anger management?
Arthur
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:58 pm

Postby Eight » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:30 am

Over- or Under-Achievers Anonymous?
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:58 pm

Postby Absinthe » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:01 pm

^ Not quite funny enough to make up for its general lack of helpfulness.

Also not up to your characteristically thoughtful posts, Eight.
Absinthe
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:58 pm

Postby Eight » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:23 am

Absinthe wrote:^ Not quite funny enough to make up for its general lack of helpfulness.
Also not up to your characteristically thoughtful posts, Eight.

Though I did say it as a joke, it has truth to it, Absinthe.

You will find a lot of narcissistic people in support groups comprised of over-achievers, Type A folks, dealing with issues of striving to win, be the best or at least better than you, look good, etc.

You may also find narcissistic people in support groups comprised of underachievers - those who wish to achieve, or at least be seen as excelling, but aren't... those who often shoot themselves in the foot...those who manage on image rather than substance.

I have never known of a therapy group put together to serve the needs of those with NPD proper.
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:58 pm

Postby Akuma » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:04 am

Arthur wrote:Where would you be most likely to find a group with a lot of narcissists?
Drug or other addiction groups? Depression? Anger management?

I think like so often it depends on what your definition of narcissism includes.
If its just certain aspects then for example not being able to wait could lead you into a group for people with high debt, private insolvents etc; or antidependent, immediate need gratification would land you in substance-abuse groups f.e., lack of impulse-control and a strong sense of materialism could land you in a group for compulsive shopping; in another constellation these aspects together with the compulsive need to "win" could land you in a group for gambling addiction.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:58 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post