Our partner

Crossing over to psychopathy

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: mark1958, Echinacea, realityhere

Crossing over to psychopathy

Postby CopyCat27 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:33 pm

Here's an interesting thought
They say a psychopath is at the extremity of narcissism. Ie they can't be more narcissistic anymore that even the fluctuations of emotions narcissists have are completely gone. The person is completely cold and vacant.

So what I'm wondering is can a narcissist cross over to aspd? I'm 27 and suspect I have NPD if not at least some serious narcissistic traits. Lots of abuse and shame from childhood and throughout life. I don't give a flying ###$ about anyone and only care about family but in a sort of shallow way. Like obviously wouldn't want them hurt but don't seem to care much about who they are and their needs wants etc... It's like people are just holographic representations that don't really exist. I can't genuinely connect on any level. I'm always disingenuous, pretending acting but my true feelings and thoughts are always kept hidden. Sort of what you would call a covert narc.

I'm going through a very tough time at the moment and worry I might become a psychopath at some point. My connection with the outside world is dwindling day by day. I often frighten people when they are close to me. They find me intimidating and I think it developed from years of isolation. It's like I feel I can do anything and there is no consideration for the existence of others. I have to apply a lot of self control to stop myself from misbehaving. It got to the point of whooping my dick out in public because I thought it would be fun to show these two prostitutes how big it was.

Any advice would be appreciated.
CopyCat27
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:54 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Crossing over to psychopathy

Postby Akuma » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:35 am

Comorbitiy rates bipolar/NPD are very rare, 0-8% in pwNPD.
When youre correctly diagnosed with bipolar the danger you are facing is becoming delusional and psychotic, which I would assume is much more problematic than becoming psychopathic. That beign said one can't become psychopathic. There is a possibility to becoming secondary schizoid which would equal chronic sideeffects of a dissociative disorder on top of an NPD structure though, but that has to do with your ability to feel emotions, not with the functioning of your conscience, which would remain largely unaffected. In addition in this scenario a NPD should exist.
So summarizing, youre probably going insane from a combination of your bipolar disorder and your social withdrawal. You should do something about that.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:54 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby CopyCat27 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:31 am

Akuma wrote:Comorbitiy rates bipolar/NPD are very rare, 0-8% in pwNPD.
When youre correctly diagnosed with bipolar the danger you are facing is becoming delusional and psychotic, which I would assume is much more problematic than becoming psychopathic. That beign said one can't become psychopathic. There is a possibility to becoming secondary schizoid which would equal chronic sideeffects of a dissociative disorder on top of an NPD structure though, but that has to do with your ability to feel emotions, not with the functioning of your conscience, which would remain largely unaffected. In addition in this scenario a NPD should exist.
So summarizing, youre probably going insane from a combination of your bipolar disorder and your social withdrawal. You should do something about that.

Well put. I think your advice makes sense. But I still feel like I might be a narcissist. Any way to test this for sure?
CopyCat27
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Akuma » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:00 am

CopyCat27 wrote:Well put. I think your advice makes sense. But I still feel like I might be a narcissist. Any way to test this for sure?

There is no test at this point that tests for every type of narcissistic disorder. Also you should ask yourself what you want the result for. Will it motivate you to look for a way to change or to look for a skilled therapist? Or do you want it perhaps so you can give up, because pwPD "cant change"? Or is it just boredom or a way to get your mind of your current issues? Etc.
If youre planning to get a therapist, a psychodynamic / -analytic therapist will give you a diagnostic opinion after the first few introductory interviews when asked. Psychiatrists can diagnose, too, but how well they take into account individual psychological structure as opposed to merely scoring items on a check-list depends on their professional background. Finally of course you will get diagnosed when you are in a clinic or psychological rehabiliation center.
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby CopyCat27 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:20 pm

I've started seeing a therapist so I'm in the right direction. Thanks for your input akuma devil
CopyCat27
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby ZombieZ » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:51 pm

@akuma are these s comorbitity rates between Bi-polar and NPD You quoted? I was wondering if you had a link to that? Also I wonder if the hypomanic/manic phase can look so much like NPD at times that only one disorder tends to be diagnosed rather than both. Bi-polar has a high rate of comorbidity with ASPD and BPD I wonder why NPD would be different
ZombieZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:54 am

Postby Akuma » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:59 pm

ZombieZ wrote:Also I wonder if the hypomanic/manic phase can look so much like NPD at times that only one disorder tends to be diagnosed rather than both.

Well thats the big drawback with diagnosing with those lists like DSM, NPI etc. there is always overlap and ultimately all you will show is that a persons answers correlate somehow with a given set of "symptoms". If diagnosis is done over a longer period with psychodynamics in mind thre is less overlap - but ultimately also less necessity for a diagnosis heh >_>. Or at least a bit of a different approach maybe like what Nancy McWilliams has proposed, based on basic conflict themes (closeness/distance etc), which differentiates illnesses better.

@akuma are these s comorbitity rates between Bi-polar and NPD You quoted? I was wondering if you had a link to that?

Mantere, O., Melartin, T. K., Suominen, K., Rytsala, H.
J., Valtonen, H. M., Arvilommi, P., . . . Isometsa,
E.T. (2006). Differences in axis I and II comorbidity
between bipolar I and II disorders and major
depressive disorder. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry,
67, 584–593.

Ronningstam, E. (2005). Narcissistic disorder. In M. Maj,
H. S. Akiskal, J. E. Mezzich, & A. Okasha (Eds.),
Personality disorders (1st ed., pp. 277–327).
Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.

Rosso, G., Albert, U., Bogetto, F., & Maina, G. (2009).
Axis II comorbidity in euthymic bipolar disorder
patients: No differences between bipolar I and
II subtypes. Journal of Affective Disorders, 115,
257–261.

Bi-polar has a high rate of comorbidity with ASPD and BPD I wonder why NPD would be different

Dunno.
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post