Our partner

Can narcissists feel deep friendship/emotional bond?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: mark1958, Echinacea, realityhere

Postby blank187000 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:57 am

For their real life friends because they have a lot in common? Or maybe for their internet friends because its much less responsibility and chance of trouble (?) Sorry I'm bad at explaining.
blank187000
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:51 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Can narcissists feel deep friendship/emotional bond?

Postby Halibut » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:33 am

A narcissist can never know answers to those sorts of questions off-hand. For example, I’ve only ever been myself, so how can I know what that feels like? But what I’ve learned is that I always think I can, but all my relationships come and go. What that means I have no idea.
Halibut
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:51 am

Postby BadShrimp » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:32 am

Yes we can. We only feel an emotional bond with other Narcissists. We see other Narcissists as equals. Everyone else is seen as unworthy and a waste of space.
BadShrimp
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Absinthe » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:08 pm

blank187000 wrote:For their real life friends because they have a lot in common? Or maybe for their internet friends because its much less responsibility and chance of trouble (?) Sorry I'm bad at explaining.

What are you thinking of when you say 'internet friend'. Do you mean someone you interact with online but you've never met irl? I have felt a connection to certain people online, but that relationship doesn't make it all the way to friendship for me. To be a friend, I need to know that the person I'm interacting with is the person I believe them to be - and there just isn't anyway of knowing that online.

In real life I have many longstanding friendships. Do I feel a deep connection? That's a tough one. I get the sense that other people feel a deeper connection than I do. But, yeah, I do feel a bond.
Absinthe
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby chaman » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:21 am

blank187000 wrote:For their real life friends because they have a lot in common? Or maybe for their internet friends because its much less responsibility and chance of trouble (?) Sorry I'm bad at explaining.

Hello Blank187000,

The term "friend" stands for having faith on someone, fully trusting that person and thats what real friendship stands for. Trust is what divides real friends from fake ones. Very few Narcissists can actually create this type of bond, and if they do, its mostly with family members or childhood friends, the ones who met them when they were "vulnerable".

Have a nice day.
chaman
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby pajaro » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:44 pm

Somewhat if they see you as an equal. But the problem is that the more they see you as an equal, the more threatened they will be by whatever they most like about you. So it will be a push-pull friendship. Although they might feel it is a real friendship, the non-N friend will suffer a lot. It's possible sometimes to reach inside some N's and reach something with a bit of kindness. But too often the envy rears it's ugly head and they absolutely HAVE to put you down in order to feel better about themselves. Some N-parents are so jealous of their kids that they can rarely ever control their toxicity. So the bond is really mostly "need."

Can a non-N love and create a bond with a N? Yes, sometimes, and it can sometimes become meaningful. But it takes a strong central core and firm boundaries, along with a LOT of patience, and the ability to see the small, hurting child inside the N - something the N never thanks us for seeing, sadly. But if we can see it, and reach in to touch that child in a very positive way, it does sometimes work.

-- Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:45 am --

Somewhat if they see you as an equal. But the problem is that the more they see you as an equal, the more threatened they will be by whatever they most like about you. So it will be a push-pull friendship. Although they might feel it is a real friendship, the non-N friend will suffer a lot. It's possible sometimes to reach inside some N's and reach something with a bit of kindness. But too often the envy rears it's ugly head and they absolutely HAVE to put you down in order to feel better about themselves. Some N-parents are so jealous of their kids that they can rarely ever control their toxicity. So the bond is really mostly "need."

Can a non-N love and create a bond with a N? Yes, sometimes, and it can sometimes become meaningful. But it takes a strong central core and firm boundaries, along with a LOT of patience, and the ability to see the small, hurting child inside the N - something the N never thanks us for seeing, sadly. But if we can see it, and reach in to touch that child in a very positive way, it does sometimes work.
We can have a million and one acquaintances, but if none of our connections feel intimate and meaningful, we will ultimately feel alone.
pajaro
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:51 am

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post