Our partner

Entrepreneurship with NPD

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: mark1958, Echinacea, realityhere

Entrepreneurship with NPD

Postby covertunsure » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:36 pm

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone here with NPD is a successful entrepreneur or small business owner?

I've always started things since I was a pre-teen (I'm now in my late 20s), but never finished or made them into a real success. Everything from a car wash service to being the computer support kid in my neighborhood to starting a gaming clan, etc.

Those were as kids/teenagers. Now that I'm an adult, I've also "started" numerous businesses but have never really had much success in any of them. Why? I jotted down the businesses I've started and reasons why I failed. The reasons were ALL the same: no follow-through.

I like the romanticization and euphoria of the business/startup idea more than its actual execution—that's the hard part, and often comes with rejection after rejection and no external validation until you're a long way down the road of loneliness (and even then the possibility for absolute failure is high).

So, is it possible, with this disorder, to do ANYTHING long-term with no immediate external validation? Entrepreneurship, IMO, is the ultimate embodiment of that.
covertunsure
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:09 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Entrepreneurship with NPD

Postby ZombieZ » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:47 pm

I’m not sure, I know I’m the same way though. Nothing really holds my interest long enough to get where I want to go. It’s actually a pretty weird cycle when you think about it
ZombieZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Akuma » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:55 am

Well narcissism makes it hard to tolerate the state in-between where something develops. Narcissism basically necessitates everything, now, all-at-once and perfectly.
I'm a music producer f.e. and it's very hard sometimes, and can be a tremendous strain, having to sit thru a production and not be able to snip my fingers and its there. Its like a sequence of micro-failures for part of the unconscious I think. Theres a lot in there I think hunger for recognition with at the same time fear of failure, perfectionism, lack of negative affect tolerance, lack of patience, pessimism...
Its possible though and relatively speaking it can be fun. Ultimately a lot of therapy consists of making oen able to tolerate negative states anyways, so the whole area of letting go of the necessity to have everything immediately is constantly available for training.
On a deeper level its an idealization-devalue cycle I'd guess. You idealize the imagined end-product and then you devalue it when you realize you cant have it withotu having to descend from the heavenly realm to the human one. It connects a bit to suicidality I think that the OP has spoken of. You cant control others to see you the way you want to, so at least you can control your own life in this omnipotent way by ending it. In the same way you can smash the idealized image and just magically create a new one.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:09 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby covertunsure » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:35 pm

Akuma wrote:Well narcissism makes it hard to tolerate the state in-between where something develops. Narcissism basically necessitates everything, now, all-at-once and perfectly.
I'm a music producer f.e. and it's very hard sometimes, and can be a tremendous strain, having to sit thru a production and not be able to snip my fingers and its there. Its like a sequence of micro-failures for part of the unconscious I think. Theres a lot in there I think hunger for recognition with at the same time fear of failure, perfectionism, lack of negative affect tolerance, lack of patience, pessimism...
Its possible though and relatively speaking it can be fun. Ultimately a lot of therapy consists of making oen able to tolerate negative states anyways, so the whole area of letting go of the necessity to have everything immediately is constantly available for training.
On a deeper level its an idealization-devalue cycle I'd guess. You idealize the imagined end-product and then you devalue it when you realize you cant have it withotu having to descend from the heavenly realm to the human one. It connects a bit to suicidality I think that the OP has spoken of. You cant control others to see you the way you want to, so at least you can control your own life in this omnipotent way by ending it. In the same way you can smash the idealized image and just magically create a new one.

This resonated with me so deeply.

The romanticism of the idea is what I want, but the daily grind is so hard, and tolerating the negative affects inherent with rejection from prospective customers and investors and, seemingly, the world makes it so difficult. This isn't even speaking of the negative affect inherent in (for me, at least) everyday life and a lack of the adulation and admiration I seem to require.

The need for instant gratification and recognition from the world of perfection makes sticking with something so incredibly difficult.

And as you so eloquently point out, smashing the idealized image and magically creating a new one is SUCH a powerful allure, but a mirage at the end of the day. Which just makes the cycle repeat and repeat like the movie Groundhog Day.

They say great entrepreneurs like Steve Jobs were narcissistic, but I doubt very much they're full blown NPD because this disorder makes it SO hard to stick with or succeed at anything.
covertunsure
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum