Our partner

afraid to leave your home

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: mark1958, Echinacea, realityhere

Re: afraid to leave your home

Postby ShowJumpingRabbit » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:31 pm

Should be obvious, but if not, feel free to make a thread about dismissiveness ...
ShowJumpingRabbit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:33 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby heracles » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Generally I'm not afraid to leave my home---I'm not agoraphobic---but there are days when I'm "feeling ugly" and feel more self-conscious than usual in public. This comes and goes.

It doesn't seem very strange to me that you'd be diagnosed with both ASPD and NPD. It seems like a lot of people have this combination. I think there should be a practical distinction between the definitions of psychopathy and sociopathy. Psychopathy as I've come to understand it is impulsive and sadistic, whereas sociopathy is usually just callous and calculating. There's also just callous indifference, without calculation. These are just my own observations. I'm not relying on academic theory.

Are you still seeing a psychiatrist? Is it helping?
Intermittent, intense angst & sensucht . Covert somatic narcissism/Pseudo-Body-Dysmorphia. Secret, languid schizoid. Dysthymia. Gerascaphobia. Dorian Gray Syndrome. Avoidant. Iatraphobia. Psychiatraphobia. Self-Indentified. Just traits? High on the spectrum? Full blown? Doesn't matter to me. Not on meds. INTJ.
heracles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:33 pm
Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Absinthe » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:14 pm

heracles wrote:It doesn't seem very strange to me that you'd be diagnosed with both ASPD and NPD. It seems like a lot of people have this combination.

Yeah that doesn't sound strange to me either. It was the narcissistic psychopath diagnosis I was wondering about. I didn't think that existed.

ShowJumpingRabbit wrote:Should be obvious, but if not, feel free to make a thread about dismissiveness ...

That's okay I think you just demonstrated it well.
Absinthe
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby ShowJumpingRabbit » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:39 am

Absinthe wrote:That's okay I think you just demonstrated it well.

Inviting you to make a thread, how dismissive of me :)

heracles wrote:These are just my own observations. I'm not relying on academic theory.

Maybe one reason why Akuma relies on theory is because it feels easier/safer to him to remain in the confines of theory as opposed to introspective observations ... idk
ShowJumpingRabbit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby realityhere » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:26 am

"Maybe one reason why Akuma relies on theory is because it feels easier/safer to him to remain in the confines of theory as opposed to introspective observations ... idk"

@SJR,

From what I've read about akuma's "theories", it's based on facts, yes, facts, and akuma has undergone various therapy methods and continues to work with what therapy is working for him as opposed to what hasn't. At least he is trying to do something about his disorder. I don't think this is the safer/easier way to confront a disorder. In fact, it's the scariest thing to know theory--scientific fact is hardest to confront. It is the safer/easier way is remain unaware, by all means. If one is disordered, then because of the nature of his disorder, such an individual doesn't have introspection to rely on.

Who are you to say that relying on theory, that this is "easier"? Akuma has taken many pains to educate himself about his disorder and to find ways to deal with it, as uncomfortable as this has been for him. I do think he has done a lot of introspection for someone with such a disorder, and you are remiss for not acknowledging his efforts.
AWAY from mod duties, please contact another moderator.
realityhere
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:33 am

Postby Quoth » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:54 am

^ Well said, I can’t think of a user who been more useful to this forum.

Historically when people have started swinging for him it’s been when his knowledge conflicts with whatever emotional need they are trying to use the forum to fulfill.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”
Quoth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ShowJumpingRabbit » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:03 am

At least he is trying to do something about his disorder. I don't think this is the safer/easier way to confront a disorder. In fact, it's the scariest thing to know theory--scientific fact is hardest to confront. It is the safer/easier way is remain unaware, by all means. If one is disordered, then because of the nature of his disorder, such an individual doesn't have introspection to rely on.

Who are you to say that relying on theory, that this is "easier"? Akuma has taken many pains to educate himself about his disorder and to find ways to deal with it, as uncomfortable as this has been for him. I do think he has done a lot of introspection , and you are remiss for not acknowledging his efforts.

Based on the highlighted elements, you're writing that a disordered person doesn't have access to introspection but that Akuma has done a lot of introspection. This is somewhat confusing, I am not sure which point you expect me to address.

I also feel like my point was missed: as I am walking the fine line of explaining Akuma's behavior (he may be more gifted at grasping theory than practicing introspection, hence why he may derive more enjoyment from pacing the realm of theory) without dismissing Herakles' frustration as well as mine. None of this is random or worthless.

@Quoth

From my perspective people have disagreed with Akuma for all kind of motives, including very reasonable ones.

I also can't think of a person in this thread alone who isn't using the forum to fulfill some emotional need. By bickering, aren't you fulfilling some emotional needs? Is RH not attempting to fulfill some deeper emotional need? It's a very democratic process ...
ShowJumpingRabbit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Absinthe » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:45 am

ShowJumpingRabbit wrote:Inviting you to make a thread, how dismissive of me

No, giving a snarky response instead of addressing my initial question to you is dismissive. I assume it’s a deflection tactic.

Are you in politics by any chance? If not, maybe worthwhile considering it. You seem to be gifted at shifting the discussion from relevance to ridiculousness while almost sounding like you had a point.
Absinthe
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Quoth » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:12 am

ShowJumpingRabbit wrote:From my perspective people have disagreed with Akuma for all kind of motives, including very reasonable ones.

I also can't think of a person in this thread alone who isn't using the forum to fulfill some emotional need. By bickering, aren't you fulfilling some emotional needs? Is RH not attempting to fulfill some deeper emotional need? It's a very democratic process ...

I didn’t say fulfilling i said conflicting, please learn to read. Nor am I bickering, in fact i’ve had you on ignore since you took to whinging because eight and whichway were being supportive to Kim, and probably would not have bothered reading this had RH not sent me an amused PM. My role here is to counterbalance the ad hominem (the circumstantial form to be exact) levelled by you at another user.

You could have challenged akuma on a point which was incorrect, instead you’ve resorted to trying to discredit by falsely asserting motive or as oneringer described it ‘flinging mud to see what would stick’. Clearly something you enjoy or you would not keep doing it.

Given you believe yourself to be an “empath” with magical powers of intuition, whilst simultaneously claiming a condition you cannot legally be diagnosed with, which is itself a borderline spectrum disorder characterised by a lack of empathy and would require a significant amount of DBT to fix which clearly you have not had, I cannot say your perspective carries a great deal of weight. Combine that with the clear lack of any depth of understanding and my personal belief is that you would struggle to locate your arse with both hands and a map.

You asked me recently if I was treating you with contempt, your intuition is failing yet again (your faith in it seems a little misplaced). I find you repugnant, as I would anyone got their jollies shaming people trying to deal with a difficult disorder.

I am curious if quite so many people having called you on your various unpleasant behaviours has finally got through to you, but not curious enough to take you off the ignore list.
“It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.”
Quoth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ShowJumpingRabbit » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:24 pm

Absinthe wrote:No, giving a snarky response instead of addressing my initial question to you is dismissive. I assume it’s a deflection tactic.

I feel like we've been down that path before (you possessed a different username) ...

Quoth wrote:in fact i’ve had you on ignore since you took to whinging because eight and whichway were being supportive to Kim, and probably would not have bothered reading this had RH not sent me an amused PM.

I find this behavior problematic coming from a mod, being judge and party. I do not find coordinated attacks on a character amusing. (most topics have been covered at length in other threads)

Quoth wrote:Given you believe yourself to be an “empath” with magical powers of intuition, whilst simultaneously claiming a condition you cannot legally be diagnosed with, which is itself a borderline spectrum disorder characterised by a lack of empathy and would require a significant amount of DBT to fix which clearly you have not had, I cannot say your perspective carries a great deal of weight.

It is also against the rules to diagnose members.

So I will not be participating to this thread anymore.
ShowJumpingRabbit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post