Our partner

Black & White Thinking

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: mark1958, Echinacea, realityhere

Black & White Thinking

Postby ShowJumpingRabbit » Wed May 09, 2018 7:13 pm

I've heard that people with narcissism tend to see themselves as absolutely fine and right until something proves them otherwise and then they may experience feeling the burn of feeling like a failure. Do you find yourself propelled sometimes in the emotional turmoil of such drastic shifts in self-perception? Do you perceive yourself as either black or white, dark or light grey?
ShowJumpingRabbit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Black & White Thinking

Postby ShowJumpingRabbit » Sat May 12, 2018 12:46 am

I guess this answers my question:

BPO arises, we are told, in infants who can’t integrate their positive and negative experiences, either because of high innate aggressiveness, excessive anxiety, or harmful early experiences. (All explanations must stop somewhere and Kernberg stops here. Margaret Mahler and others propose that borderline parents reproduce the disorder in their children because they can’t tolerate their infant’s healthy aggression or later need to separate. Still others assert the etiological primacy of childhood abuse and molestation and emphasize the importance of dissociation in bor­derline symptoms.) To protect their good experiences from “contamination,” future borderlines come to rely on splitting—the desperate device of sequestering good and bad internal representations of self and others—rather than on repression as their primary defense mechanism. Secondarily, they employ the primitive de­fenses of projective identifi­cation, denial, omnipotence, and devaluation. (For a cat­alog of defense mech­a­nisms, try Adaptation to Life by George Vaillant.

Dependence on these primitive defenses gives rise to “ego weakness”—lack of anxiety tolerance, impaired im­­pulse control, and a paucity of con­flict-free spheres of expression. Kernberg ingeniously and economically explains how BPO explains the “surface” bor­derline symp­toms we’re all familiar with—splitting as a defense, of course, but also intense, unstable, and exploitative relationships, identity diffusion, boredom, intolerance of solitude, global anxiety, and self-destructiveness.
ShowJumpingRabbit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ZombieZ » Sat May 12, 2018 8:51 am

My therapist tells me I have black and white thinking. At first I thought she was calling me a racist
ZombieZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ShowJumpingRabbit » Sat May 12, 2018 7:46 pm

ZombieZ wrote:My therapist tells me I have black and white thinking. At first I thought she was calling me a racist

:)

I used to think in starker terms than I do now. But I can do better.

What is a typical situation where you demonstrate black and white thinking?
ShowJumpingRabbit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ZombieZ » Sun May 13, 2018 7:37 pm

I’ll try to come back to this thread maybe another time. I’m worn out with being analyzed and trying to self analyze at the moment. I can’t even remember what I said to her that made her say that right now.
ZombieZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ShowJumpingRabbit » Mon May 14, 2018 12:38 am

Sure.
ShowJumpingRabbit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby dazn153 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:17 pm

I understand the concept of splitting quite well. I've done it many times, to the point where I was admitted into a psych ward.

Black and white thinking is very common with NPD/BPD. I am NPD primarily, but exhibit BPD traits. It is a complete defense mechanism because it causes so much anxiety and pain to be in between. By hating somebody, you can wipe them out of your brain. It's like messing up a drawing, wiping it clean, and starting again, versus having to fix everything and deal with the frustration that you have already messed up. Easier to go from 0 to 10 than 50 to 60.

It is extremely painful for relationships, especially because there is lack of object constancy. Imagine if your wife one day loved you, then the next day thought you were the worst person to exist and wanted to divorce. Then the next day, she fluctuates back to "white" where she loves you so much. It emotionally ###$ with your heart so badly that you get bonded to her through all the trauma. It is constant manipulation conducted on you, which I have also done in the past to gain control.

Things that are not in our control are scary. It causes anxiety, panic attacks, and potential self-harm or suicide.

The only way to get help is to continue seeing a psychiatrist and taking drugs (usually anti-depressants SSRIs) to help mitigate the explosions. You will not be able to ever stop the atomic bombs, but at least you can contain it so it causes smaller explosions before destroying the whole city.
Diagnosed partially of each: NPD, BPD, Bipolar 2, OCPD, OCD
Psych Ward: 7 days ER: 2x No self-harm + In psychiatric treatment
dazn153
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:20 am

Postby BadShrimp » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:44 am

I don't associate my thoughts or feelings with colors.
BadShrimp
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jean33 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:04 pm

dazn153 wrote:The only way to get help is to continue seeing a psychiatrist and taking drugs (usually anti-depressants SSRIs) to help mitigate the explosions. You will not be able to ever stop the atomic bombs, but at least you can contain it so it causes smaller explosions before destroying the whole city.

May I ask from where you got that information? From own experience? I always thought that antidepressants didn't help much with that kind of problem.
Jean33
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:20 pm

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post