Our partner

How do you act when you're drunk?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: mark1958, Echinacea, realityhere

How do you act when you're drunk?

Postby priscgrove » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:01 pm

Curious about this... I have NPD and whenever I get drunk my facade of seeming like a normal, caring person who loves themselves a normal amount/"is humble and kinda shy" goes away. I'm very confrontational and rude, will readily insult just about anyone, openly laugh at people, feel like I can do anything and that I'm the best person in the world. I feel like even traits other people would view as my "shortcomings" make me an amazing person. And yet I lash out and leave an event if I'm not feeling enough love from people. I'll openly talk about violent thoughts, how great I think I am, and how much I hate most people. Basically, I'm a really obnoxious drunk person and now I only allow myself to have one or two drinks occasionally so I can keep myself composed. Honestly, it's a miracle anyone I've ever drank with doesn't immediately deduce that I have this diagnosis.

I was wondering what other narcs act like/if you have better composure than I do, or if you can relate. Or I guess if you behave this way all the time without the aid of alcohol, and how you act. Also interested in hearing from pwAsPD
priscgrove
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:45 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How do you act when you're drunk?

Postby psyguy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:24 pm

Similarly, my grandiosity also goes up and my facade of overt politeness tends to fly out the window. I do have much less anxiety around the need for self-enhancement/conquering others, so that's kind of nice.
NPD + GAD + Antisocial, Borderline, and OC(P) Traits
psyguy
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:45 am

Postby Akuma » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:22 am

I might get less coherent but overall theres no change whatsoever when I'm drunk.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:45 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Knoxious » Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:43 pm

psyguy wrote:Similarly, my grandiosity also goes up and my facade of overt politeness tends to fly out the window.

This.

psyguy wrote: I do have much less anxiety around the need for self-enhancement/conquering others, so that's kind of nice.

I actually "conquer others" a lot more when drunk. It's pretty brutal (for them).
- Knox
Knoxious
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:45 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby covertunsure » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:12 pm

Not diagnosed NPD but suspected vulnerable narcissist here.

I have weird reactions to drugs/substances. When I'm drunk and out at a bar, my anxiety, paranoia, and sort of mild bipolar sometimes actually get worse. I'm even more inhibited and "in my head" and feel like X person won't like me, I can't approach people, etc.

When I'm drunk alone or with friends at home, this is less likely and I'm more likely to simply be funny but be (sometimes brutally) honest and myself, which is more blunt and assertive than my normally staid, polite, inhibited public facade.
covertunsure
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:45 am

Postby Quoth » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:17 pm

I’m a ‘friendly drunk’. My agreeableness goes up and generally I’m pretty friendly in an abrasive sort of way. The negative end is that I can spiral the other way, get maudlin and go into full scale depression. Either way I’m less aggressive drunk than I am sober. :|
”The man would then tear up little pieces of paper above the street, and the creatures, attracted by this shower of white butterflies, came out into the middle of the road, raising enquiring paws towards the last pieces of paper. At this the little old man would spit on the cats, firmly and accurately.”
Quoth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:45 am

Postby Eight » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:04 am

No significant change except that I get a bit more talkative overall, and maybe in a silly flirty playful way. People don't bug me as much and I like everyone a lot more.

I'm a happy tipsy person. Rarely get actually drunk, except this past summer when the hot sun and tropical drinks got the best of me. Being flat out drunk isn't fun to me so I don't go there often.
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:45 pm

Postby YourBestFriend » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:43 am

Terrible. Generally drugs and alcohol make me completly stupid and usually I embarass myself and therefore would rather avoid that, but unfortunately there are reasons I cannot stop.

I hate this stuff and whatever I build substatnce abuse makes me destroy.

Countless lost friendships and opportunities.

Would have been a much better person without.
YourBestFriend
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:45 am

Postby Kimera » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:30 am

Most of the time I'm an outgoing and friendly drunk. I get super chatty when I drink. Every once in awhile, my tendency toward paranoia kicks in and I react badly to someone in my group I perceive is being a threat (to my ego, of course - I'm a narc). That hasn't happened since I've become aware of the PD; I know the threat is unfolding in my mind only.
NPD
Kimera
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby BadShrimp » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:56 am

When I'm drunk I can pretend to care about people.
BadShrimp
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post