Our partner

I'm not wrong.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: mark1958, Echinacea, realityhere

I'm not wrong.

Postby atombell » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:11 am

I was diagnosed with npd and aspd recently. Anyone else having problems with being diagnosed? I don't see how I have these things.
atombell
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:37 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I'm not wrong.

Postby Akuma » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:52 am

atombell wrote:I was diagnosed with npd and aspd recently. Anyone else having problems with being diagnosed? I don't see how I have these things.

I knew I had a subform of NPD before I was diagnosed, but usually a personality disorder is egosyntonic, in other words you will not notice it as alien or disturbing to yourself, because well, its the personality, its a big part of yourself. Especially when you have a grandiose form of NPD / ASPD you will also rarely [consciously] experience the negative symptoms.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Knoxious » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:58 pm

I'm diagnosed with AsPD and "strong narcissistic traits", and i have accepted it. I've known about sociopathy and narcissism for a long time.

If you don't see how you have these things.. maybe your life isn't fuked up enough yet. Let's keep it that way. But keep coming online so that we can talk about any symptoms that occur.

Sound like a plan?
- Knox
Knoxious
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:37 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby heracles » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:57 pm

Akuma wrote:
atombell wrote:I was diagnosed with npd and aspd recently. Anyone else having problems with being diagnosed? I don't see how I have these things.

I knew I had a subform of NPD before I was diagnosed, but usually a personality disorder is egosyntonic, in other words you will not notice it as alien or disturbing to yourself, because well, its the personality, its a big part of yourself. Especially when you have a grandiose form of NPD / ASPD you will also rarely [consciously] experience the negative symptoms.

That would be "egoDYStonic",wouldn't it?

[Frankly, if somebody thought I had NPD, other than the social complication's that might entail, I couldn't care less. I think a lot of the theory might be so much bunk anyway.]
Intermittent, intense angst & sensucht . Covert somatic narcissism/Pseudo-Body-Dysmorphia. Secret, languid schizoid. Dysthymia. Gerascaphobia. Dorian Gray Syndrome. Avoidant. Iatraphobia. Psychiatraphobia. Self-Indentified. Just traits? High on the spectrum? Full blown? Doesn't matter to me. Not on meds. INTJ.
heracles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Akuma » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:11 am

heracles wrote:That would be "egoDYStonic",wouldn't it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egosynton ... godystonic
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby heracles » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:33 am

Akuma wrote:
heracles wrote:That would be "egoDYStonic",wouldn't it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egosynton ... godystonic

I know the definition. Again, your words, cut and pasted:

"...egosyntonic, in other words you will not notice it as alien or disturbing to yourself..."

A trait "disturbing to yourself" by the definition you just linked to, is egoDYStonic.

Sometimes I think you just like to argue for the sake of it.
Intermittent, intense angst & sensucht . Covert somatic narcissism/Pseudo-Body-Dysmorphia. Secret, languid schizoid. Dysthymia. Gerascaphobia. Dorian Gray Syndrome. Avoidant. Iatraphobia. Psychiatraphobia. Self-Indentified. Just traits? High on the spectrum? Full blown? Doesn't matter to me. Not on meds. INTJ.
heracles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Akuma » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:42 am

heracles wrote:I know the definition. Again, your words, cut and pasted:

"...egosyntonic, in other words you will not notice it as alien or disturbing to yourself..."

A trait "disturbing to yourself" by the definition you just linked to, is egoDYStonic.

"in other words you will not notice it as alien or disturbing to yourself."
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby heracles » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:06 am

Akuma wrote:
heracles wrote:I know the definition. Again, your words, cut and pasted:

"in other words you will not notice it as alien or disturbing to yourself."

Okay. Maybe you have a technical win. I guess I've got to be careful with German wordiness. But "egosyntonic" is more than just not noticing or not being disturbed by a negative trait, it's an enjoyment of a self-perceived positive one.
heracles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby julllia » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:05 am

thank you akuma for the terms. i knew it paractically when dealing with someone who has a pd but never saw before the term.
i just goolged if bpd and npd can be both Egosyntonic and egodystonic cases?
not sure but the more egodystonic you are the more treatable probably and mild. npd are notorious of not wanting to go to therapy and unsuccesful therapy because of it.
i wonder does therapy aim in making you more egodystonic. sorryy i know i express this wrong. does it aim at making you more self aware and changing how you feel or does it focus just on controling behaviors and you can never change how you feel.or both
julllia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Akuma » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:05 pm

julllia wrote:i wonder does therapy aim in making you more egodystonic. sorryy i know i express this wrong. does it aim at making you more self aware

I dont think its exlpicitly a goal of therapy. If something is egosyntonic or -dystonic is ultimately based on the personality of the person, primarily about how they see what they are and what they want to be. So lets say a person is very bright and works in academia, research, engineering or something and he gets early onset alzheimers the symptoms might be very egodystonic and he might realize the illness very quickly. In the same way if therapy changes how you perceive yourself, your goals etc. or if therapy for example changes things in your cognitive functions, your reality testing, your way of dealing with affects, then symptoms that might originally have been seen as unproblematic might now be seen as disturbing, or vice versa.

and changing how you feel or does it focus just on controling behaviors and you can never change how you feel.or both

Depends on the therapy. Newer therapies like MBT and SFT can have pretty good outcomes at eradicating BPD for example - that is the illness itself, not only behaviors, while their approaches are different. Behavioral therapies tho like pure BT or CBT are not very useful for PDs anyways. It can of course be a sideeffect of mindfulness for example in DBT that a person becomes more aware of the scope of their illness and decides for more intense, longterm changes.
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post