Our partner

Cure to NPD

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: mark1958, Echinacea, realityhere

Cure to NPD

Postby masteroftheuniverse » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:04 am

I was told once by a psychologist that there isn't too much you can do about NPD but you can cure it but only when the person is completely crushed and cannot possibly keep up the story of how they are the best.

Like if you had an NPD rich, handsome, loved by everyone guy and he loses all his money, gets in a car accident that burns his face off and everyone in the community hates him, well now he couldn't pretend he was the best any more because by the metrics he concludes this he is the bottom of the bottom and it would shatter his narcissism almost to the extent of being a 'cure'.

Is this actually true?
masteroftheuniverse
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Cure to NPD

Postby Akuma » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:38 am

"There isnt much you can do about it but you can cure it"?
Sounds pretty ambivalent to me ;).
I think what he/she tried to say was that people with personality disorders only come into practices / clinics when the PDs start to make problems for them. This also means of course that with borderline disorders liek BPD or NPD this can be a very short thing, so you can go to therapy for a session and be like "omg its all so horribru" and two days later you have forgotten about it and abort therapy.
So no, I dont think you just have to hit rock-bottom to be cured at all. A cure would be a deep-rooted change in personality or mental functioning, which shouldnt be impossible in NPD, but since most pwNPD dont go to therapy there is no data about it to my knowledge.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:20 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby masteroftheuniverse » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:48 pm

Akuma wrote:"There isnt much you can do about it but you can cure it"?
Sounds pretty ambivalent to me ;).
I think what he/she tried to say was that people with personality disorders only come into practices / clinics when the PDs start to make problems for them. This also means of course that with borderline disorders liek BPD or NPD this can be a very short thing, so you can go to therapy for a session and be like "omg its all so horribru" and two days later you have forgotten about it and abort therapy.
So no, I dont think you just have to hit rock-bottom to be cured at all. A cure would be a deep-rooted change in personality or mental functioning, which shouldnt be impossible in NPD, but since most pwNPD dont go to therapy there is no data about it to my knowledge.

Nobody who has NPD is actually going to therapy for NPD. If you truly think you are awesome, why would you change yourself into being not awesome? So typically an NPD isn't going to change their mental functioning.

But hes saying you would change your mental functioning if there was NO POSSIBLE WAY to think you are awesome. It would be a very like night and day change to your mental functioning.
masteroftheuniverse
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Akuma » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:24 am

masteroftheuniverse wrote:Nobody who has NPD is actually going to therapy for NPD. If you truly think you are awesome, why would you change yourself into being not awesome? So typically an NPD isn't going to change their mental functioning.

But hes saying you would change your mental functioning if there was NO POSSIBLE WAY to think you are awesome. It would be a very like night and day change to your mental functioning.

Thats like saying a borderliner needs a certain amount of suicide attempts and cuts and will then just activate the brain-parts that have higher functioning to find different coping mechanisms once he feels bad enough.
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby dazn153 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:26 pm

Akuma wrote:
masteroftheuniverse wrote:Nobody who has NPD is actually going to therapy for NPD. If you truly think you are awesome, why would you change yourself into being not awesome? So typically an NPD isn't going to change their mental functioning.

Thats like saying a borderliner needs a certain amount of suicide attempts and cuts and will then just activate the brain-parts that have higher functioning to find different coping mechanisms once he feels bad enough.

I've had the best treatment before from the top clinics, psychologists, etc. There is no cure. You are shattered into a million pieces of glass. You cannot just glue all the glass back together. The more you try, the more you prick your fingers and bleed and suffer. You must ACCEPT that you are shattered and damaged. Your childhood experiences have created this monster + child in you. You will flip flop between both continually. However, when you accept that is you who are and deal with the pain, you will end the suffering.

It is true that when you hit rock bottom (lose your spouse, career, looks, etc.), you likely will seek help as a NPD. Might end up in the psych ward from narc injury like a lot of other folks. Then either you will then accept who you are and live a more meaningful life, or you will go back into denial, cope with it through addiction, drugs, women/men, etc. and continue to suffer.

Good luck. I am slowly accepting who the hell I am and using it to my advantage rather than let it destroy the rest of my life.

Remember that as messed up as you are with these PDs, they are a "gift" from whichever God you believe in. Those who are normal people are not meant to do crazy things to change the world. As messed up as those who have NPD, BPD, Bipolar, etc... they end up being leaders, changers in the world, and artists/musicians.

>> If you want to improve (tweak yourself to prevent explosions, rage, etc.):
- Take behavioral health classes - learn how to control your rage, learn to potentially understand how others feel, etc.
- DBT - teaches you a lot of interpersonal relationship skills, which help for your relationship with others since we can come off as extremely not empathetic
- Go to AA - they teach coping mechanisms to get you off of potential addictions, which harm your relationship with other
Diagnosed partially of each: NPD, BPD, Bipolar 2, OCPD, OCD
Psych Ward: 7 days ER: 2x No self-harm + In psychiatric treatment
dazn153
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:20 pm

Postby masteroftheuniverse » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:06 pm

Akuma wrote:

No it would be more like if a BPD could never hurt themselves or attempt suicide again and it was their only coping mechanism (say if their hands were tied up permanently or something) so they would rapidly need to come up with a new way of coping because the old one does not exist any more outside of their control.

-- Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:08 pm --

dazn153 wrote:
Akuma wrote:

I've had the best treatment before from the top clinics, psychologists, etc. There is no cure. You are shattered into a million pieces of glass. You cannot just glue all the glass back together. The more you try, the more you prick your fingers and bleed and suffer. You must ACCEPT that you are shattered and damaged. Your childhood experiences have created this monster + child in you. You will flip flop between both continually. However, when you accept that is you who are and deal with the pain, you will end the suffering.

It is true that when you hit rock bottom (lose your spouse, career, looks, etc.), you likely will seek help as a NPD. Might end up in the psych ward from narc injury like a lot of other folks. Then either you will then accept who you are and live a more meaningful life, or you will go back into denial, cope with it through addiction, drugs, women/men, etc. and continue to suffer.

Good luck. I am slowly accepting who the hell I am and using it to my advantage rather than let it destroy the rest of my life.

Remember that as messed up as you are with these PDs, they are a "gift" from whichever God you believe in. Those who are normal people are not meant to do crazy things to change the world. As messed up as those who have NPD, BPD, Bipolar, etc... they end up being leaders, changers in the world, and artists/musicians.

>> If you want to improve (tweak yourself to prevent explosions, rage, etc.):
- Take behavioral health classes - learn how to control your rage, learn to potentially understand how others feel, etc.
- DBT - teaches you a lot of interpersonal relationship skills, which help for your relationship with others since we can come off as extremely not empathetic
- Go to AA - they teach coping mechanisms to get you off of potential addictions, which harm your relationship with other

I am not seeking help, nor do I think its realistic to ruin your business, burn your face off, and burn bridges with all your relationships just to "cure" NPD which in my opinion is a good to have. It was more of just curiosity.
masteroftheuniverse
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby dazn153 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:30 am

Masteroftheuniverse:

+1
I like being who I am now. Before I tried to cope through alcohol and other methods. Now I see it as a "gift." Time to utilize it and give back to the world. :o
Diagnosed partially of each: NPD, BPD, Bipolar 2, OCPD, OCD
Psych Ward: 7 days ER: 2x No self-harm + In psychiatric treatment
dazn153
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:20 pm

Postby Akuma » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:10 am

masteroftheuniverse wrote:No it would be more like if a BPD could never hurt themselves or attempt suicide again and it was their only coping mechanism (say if their hands were tied up permanently or something) so they would rapidly need to come up with a new way of coping because the old one does not exist any more outside of their control.

I somehow feel this treatment plan was used in the past. I wonder why it was abandoned.
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby masteroftheuniverse » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:05 am

Akuma wrote:
masteroftheuniverse wrote:No it would be more like if a BPD could never hurt themselves or attempt suicide again and it was their only coping mechanism (say if their hands were tied up permanently or something) so they would rapidly need to come up with a new way of coping because the old one does not exist any more outside of their control.

I somehow feel this treatment plan was used in the past. I wonder why it was abandoned.

Good thought. And so what do you think would happen to an NPD who based their whole self image around being the best at idk Golf. Then one day they get an arm amputated. They can no longer even imagine being the best at golf any more because its impossible with one arm. How does the NDP behaviors cope?
masteroftheuniverse
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Akuma » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:48 am

masteroftheuniverse wrote:Good thought. And so what do you think would happen to an NPD who based their whole self image around being the best at idk Golf. Then one day they get an arm amputated. They can no longer even imagine being the best at golf any more because its impossible with one arm. How does the NDP behaviors cope?

What is pretty clear to me is that if we accept that NPD is a subtype of the borderline spectrum, then a person like that can't just become better, they simply don't have the means. They became BPD or NPD exactly because their mental functioning didnt allow for higher-order defenses. So they will either find something else, or they will deteriorate. In NPD suicidality is a thing for example, just contrary to BPD suicidality isnt about "please help me", but about "I am so powerful I can end a life". In addition the NPD grandiose-self structure usualyl protects agaisnt psychosis, so if it would be able to break - which I kinda doubt - that would also open the possibiltiy to a deteroiration towards either the schizoid or schizophrenic spectrum.
I find it very curious why a psychologist would do a leap and somehow equate going to therapy with the possibility of cure. It just means the person tries therapy. It would still be a theoretical 3-7 years of specialized analytic treatment, where the fundamentals are laid for what is usually called around here "real self" to be formed (sic) and to emerge. But the path would be almost the same really, no matter if someone has hit "rock bottom" or not. To me the distinction is very artificial, because I feel it mixes up a behaviour [a specific activity connected with grandiosity] with a structure [the grandiosity itself].
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post