Our partner

Do Narcissists feel Empathy for other Narcissists?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: mark1958, Echinacea, realityhere

Do Narcissists feel Empathy for other Narcissists?

Postby Psychmember2 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:40 am

I am curious do Narcissists feel Empathy, or a connection to, other Narcissists?
For example if someone who displays narcissistic traits sees another individual who also shows such traits being "called out" by others on their bad behavior is it unusual for them to get defensive on behalf of the other individual?
Psychmember2
Consumer 1
Consumer 1
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:23 am
Local time: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)


ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Do Narcissists feel Empathy for other Narcissists?

Postby Knoxious » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:51 pm

First of all, this is a really good question.

Second, whether or not they feel empathy for each other will obviously depend on the unique individual. As a PD is just an overarching label that encompasses wildly differing personalities. Some narcisissts feel empathy, some don't.

Third, in general, i'd have to believe that narcissists are attracted toward each other since they can "reflect" each other's personalities. Furthermore, they would feed each other's ego. So if the narcissist can feel empathy, he would feel it most of all for someone like him, yes.
- Knox
Knoxious
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 1441
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:48 am
Local time: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Do Narcissists feel Empathy for other Narcissists?

Postby Psychmember2 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:55 pm

Thanks for the reply Knoxious.
This question arose from observing an individual who shows narcissistic behaviors, usually in a "look at me, poor me, everyone is against me" sort of way. When he sees news reports on another individual getting criticized or called out for improper and confrontational behavior he becomes agitated and defensive saying "everyone is always out to get him"... (the individual on the news seems to shows narcissistic behavior in an "I'm the best, my opinion is the only important opinion, everyone loves me" sort of way).
In the past I have only ever seen him react this way when he feels like others are criticizing him or calling him out for his own bad behavior.
It seems like some sort of odd camaraderie with this person he has never met and only observed on tv.
Bipolar 2
Lamotrigine, Venlafxine, Bupropion, Primidone
Also Fibromyalgia and Essential tremor
Psychmember2
Consumer 1
Consumer 1
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:23 am
Local time: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Do Narcissists feel Empathy for other Narcissists?

Postby Midwinter » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:13 pm

Does a psychopath decide not to lie for other psychopaths out of familiarity? Does a borderline calm their splitting down because of another borderline?

A lack of empathy is a core trait of NPD, and what is a personality disorder? All intrusive in ALL areas of life.

First of all, this is a really good question.


No, it is really not. It doesn't make sense if you actually have a PD.
User avatar
Midwinter
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 1764
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:05 pm
Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:02 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Do Narcissists feel Empathy for other Narcissists?

Postby Psychmember2 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:54 pm

Midwinter wrote:Does a psychopath decide not to lie for other psychopaths out of familiarity? Does a borderline calm their splitting down because of another borderline?

A lack of empathy is a core trait of NPD, and what is a personality disorder? All intrusive in ALL areas of life.

Perhaps a better way to explain it is not as empathy but as feeding off of a perceived familiarity.
However I don't think that NPD excludes all empathy. It may be completely different sort of empathy.
For someone who feels better than everyone else and feels entitled seeing another person who feels the same way could be like being in ones own peer group couldn't it? They understand each other.
Bipolar 2
Lamotrigine, Venlafxine, Bupropion, Primidone
Also Fibromyalgia and Essential tremor
Psychmember2
Consumer 1
Consumer 1
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:23 am
Local time: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Do Narcissists feel Empathy for other Narcissists?

Postby Hebi » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:21 pm

Psychmember2 wrote:Thanks for the reply Knoxious.
This question arose from observing an individual who shows narcissistic behaviors, usually in a "look at me, poor me, everyone is against me" sort of way. When he sees news reports on another individual getting criticized or called out for improper and confrontational behavior he becomes agitated and defensive saying "everyone is always out to get him"... (the individual on the news seems to shows narcissistic behavior in an "I'm the best, my opinion is the only important opinion, everyone loves me" sort of way).
In the past I have only ever seen him react this way when he feels like others are criticizing him or calling him out for his own bad behavior.
It seems like some sort of odd camaraderie with this person he has never met and only observed on tv.



Are you talking about a Trump supporter....? Lol

I mean, it could make sense. If it is a familiarity that is very significant to the one watching tv, and then some stranger openly criticizes that particular part of their identity by criticizing some other guy on tv, then the one watching could feel personally attacked because their value or idea is being criticized, even though they are not the person being criticized. But I don't know if that would be extended to a narcissist that didn't share the same views or opinions.

Like I can relate and feel some kind of something for people in the BPD forum. I'm not sure if it's empathy, but I can imagine myself in a similar situation and respond in a way I can only imagine is appropriate. But there are still some others that I can not relate to at all.

I think it's more about defending and nurturing the sense of self rather than empathizing... but I don't know.
“The best way to escape reality without running, is smiling even though, it is obviously fake.”

Devil’s Little Sister
Hebi
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 474
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:11 pm
Local time: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Do Narcissists feel Empathy for other Narcissists?

Postby Psychmember2 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:54 pm

Hebi wrote:Are you talking about a Trump supporter....? Lol

I mean, it could make sense. If it is a familiarity that is very significant to the one watching tv, and then some stranger openly criticizes that particular part of their identity by criticizing some other guy on tv, then the one watching could feel personally attacked because their value or idea is being criticized, even though they are not the person being criticized. But I don't know if that would be extended to a narcissist that didn't share the same views or opinions.

Like I can relate and feel some kind of something for people in the BPD forum. I'm not sure if it's empathy, but I can imagine myself in a similar situation and respond in a way I can only imagine is appropriate. But there are still some others that I can not relate to at all.

I think it's more about defending and nurturing the sense of self rather than empathizing... but I don't know.

Nope he's not a Trump supporter, well at least not politically, but as a personality ... maybe? :wink:

That could be it, he thinks about the criticism as if they are saying it to him personally not the guy on tv.
Bipolar 2
Lamotrigine, Venlafxine, Bupropion, Primidone
Also Fibromyalgia and Essential tremor
Psychmember2
Consumer 1
Consumer 1
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:23 am
Local time: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Do Narcissists feel Empathy for other Narcissists?

Postby Midwinter » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:56 pm

Psychmember2 wrote:
Midwinter wrote:Does a psychopath decide not to lie for other psychopaths out of familiarity? Does a borderline calm their splitting down because of another borderline?

A lack of empathy is a core trait of NPD, and what is a personality disorder? All intrusive in ALL areas of life.

Perhaps a better way to explain it is not as empathy but as feeding off of a perceived familiarity.
However I don't think that NPD excludes all empathy. It may be completely different sort of empathy.
For someone who feels better than everyone else and feels entitled seeing another person who feels the same way could be like being in ones own peer group couldn't it? They understand each other.


No. They will experience it as an enemy. If someone seems better or just as equal as them, they will resent them with their every breath. Nobody is equal or like a peer to a narcissist.
User avatar
Midwinter
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 1764
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:05 pm
Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:02 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Do Narcissists feel Empathy for other Narcissists?

Postby Akuma » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:15 am

Psychmember2 wrote:This question arose from observing an individual who shows narcissistic behaviors, usually in a "look at me, poor me, everyone is against me" sort of way.


If anythign at all, thats depressive-histrionic not narcissistic.
dx: dissociative disorder + npd
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 1389
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:56 pm
Local time: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:02 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Do Narcissists feel Empathy for other Narcissists?

Postby Psychmember2 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:13 am

Akuma wrote:
Psychmember2 wrote:This question arose from observing an individual who shows narcissistic behaviors, usually in a "look at me, poor me, everyone is against me" sort of way.


If anythign at all, thats depressive-histrionic not narcissistic.

I looked up histrionic disorder and some of the signs and symptoms do fit, that is interesting. He had a therapist in the past suggest narcissism but perhaps that was not correct. If he is narcissistic it is "covert" as I have seen it described. He uses the "poor me, everyone is against me" as an attention grabbing ploy, as soon as the attention is gotten he instantly is satisfied.
Bipolar 2
Lamotrigine, Venlafxine, Bupropion, Primidone
Also Fibromyalgia and Essential tremor
Psychmember2
Consumer 1
Consumer 1
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:23 am
Local time: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:02 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Next

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum




  • Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 115 guests