Our partner

I HAVE munchausen's!!!!

Munchausen Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Terry E.

Re: I HAVE munchausen's!!!!

Postby CrackedGirl » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:02 pm

Hi and welcome

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I am so glad to hear you are getting help for this - tho I appreciate it is a long road to recovery. But I do hope you get there. Please keep talking and let us know how you are doing. I am really sorry to hear about your past - I hope that dealing with that will also help improve things for you.

Hugs

Cracked
So long and thanks for all the fish

Now we are out of the sea and we're keeping away from the sharks

We don't delete posts on demand

The Rules

When all else fails, hug the CAT

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:08 am
Blog: View Blog (177)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby seafrost94 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:18 am

I think I may have a mix between hypochondria and Munchhausen Syndrome. These are the reasons:
I love to watch youtube videos of people losing consciousness and whenever I see someone faint or get knocked out I get this “whomph” feeling in my lower belly that is just so addicting. I keep having to find new videos to get that feeling again. I can distinguish that whomph feeling from the feeling of arousal, so I know they are two different things. It's all tingly and just overall good feeling. Its like some kind of rapture where I just can't look away.
I am obsessed with fainting. I WISH and I HOPE that someday I will faint again, because the only time I really did was at the dentist and it was wonderful. I keep going over that moment in my head over and over again when I'm bored.
I really want to have a seizure or something, I just want something to be wrong with me. I think this seizure fantasy may be part of the reason that I have almost OD'd on benadryl 2 times. I read online that one of the possible side-effects of taking too much benadryl is seizures. I wouldn't mind loss of consciousness either.
I love all tv shows where somebody gets hurt, or has a mental illness, or anything like that.
Any and all medical conditions that I have or may have I need to look up online. I get that feeling in my belly again while I'm looking up things that are wrong with me.
I want I want I want something wrong. It is just this addictive feeling, and yet I don't have the courage to actually DO something!! But the scary thing is, I am building the courage, little by little, and although it hasn't escalated just yet, I believe it may, given more time and less practical thought. And yet that is the problem, I haven't actually done anything, and so I think I do not technically have Munchhausen's. But I do so badly want to be diagnosed with something and put in a mental hospital to be drugged up and left alone. I think the only thing holding me back from declaring myself is my stupid family that I love so much. What would they think? I have some factitious disorder that sounds like it's made up, which is stupid. If it's so made up, then why do people have it? Why isn't it just called “wanting attention”? Because of this, I think it is more than just making things up. If there wasn't something wrong with my brain, then why do I feel pleasure and desire to do things like this?
I think that because my symptoms are not as large as some others (who actually go out in public and fake things) it would be dangerous to admit I have it. I don't want to go out in public and fake something, I want it to actually be real!! Is that different from someone who actually has the syndrome? They make up things, and I just look up what I already have and wish that they were more severe. Wish wish wish, hope hope hope, is this the beginning of something uncontrollable? Do I want to control it? No, but I want somebody to be aware that I have it, and I want them to find something bad about this and tell me and then commit me to a mental hospital. I want to go crazy. I really really want to go crazy. I want something to be wrong with my mind, but my family is something I have to think about, and so I have to keep this a secret. Well, as long as people keep making fainting youtube videos, I'll still have something to “whumph” over.
seafrost94
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:08 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby CrackedGirl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:44 am

Hi

Thanks for your post. It sounds like you have some complex stuff going on. one thing that struck me when reading your post is whether you are wanting to be removed from reality atm - eg by going crazy or passing out. I dont know what your life has been like but if it was not good that could explain wanting to escape. Ppl who have the sorts of thoughts you are having in my experience could use some professional help to figure out what is going on. I do understand tho it is difficult to ask for this and also you may not want to. Do have a think about it tho as it sounds like it would help you to see someone.

Take good care

Cracked
So long and thanks for all the fish

Now we are out of the sea and we're keeping away from the sharks

We don't delete posts on demand

The Rules

When all else fails, hug the CAT

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:08 am
Blog: View Blog (177)

Postby Emm' » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:41 pm

oh hi!

I'm so happy you posted this! thank you!
I'm a 21-year-old girl and i feel like i deeply understand munchausen syndrome, and i've wondered many times if i have it myself!
I never went as far as really faking ilnesses and those stuff, but i feel like i feel the way people do before they decide to do it. er, is that clear..?

if you got time you can read my post on the same section, it's called "what is it?" i think.

i've always been obsessed with ilnesses, and as far as i can remember, i've always deeply hated people who were ill/hurt/had something wrong with them. I also totally recognize myself in what seafrost84 wrote. If anyone should want to seduce me, they can start with feeling bad and fainting or something like this. So yeah, since i was a little kid (4 years old is the farest i can remember) i've been either attracted to people who were hurting, either terribly furious against them.

As a kid i used to do things like pretend i'm ill if other kids were (i remember being in kindergarten, 2 kids were feeling ill so the teacher took them to another room to rest. i soon started to cry because it made me feel terribly jealous and angry, so the teacher asked me what was wrong, i said i had a headache too, so i pretended to be ill. and in general it happened, pretend i was sich/hurting if others were, or mostly taking advantage of a tiny little feeling of discomfort to make myself believe i was aching and then telling it to my parents or those who were there). I used to lick my hands when they were dirty in order to get microbes and be sick. I also hurted my knee on purpuse in grade 1 so i could get the teacher to heal me with spray like she did with other kids. I made myself fall down several times but it didn't work, so i scratched it against the wall until it bled, then i was happy (and felt it was wrong to do so, at the same time..)
growing up i learned to control those strong feelings of anger, but i keep feeling them.

somehow because i love people who are sick, i feel like i need to be sick if i wanna be loved. i know it is WRONG and STUPID but i can't help it!
and everytime i am sick myself i calm down, something in me is satisfied. As a kid though, when i was sick for real, i felt uneasy to tell. As if i was telling something extremely personal and getting a forbiden pleasure from it. I remember spending like 4 hours in class with fever, i didn't tell anyone, although i could have told the teacher and they could have phoned my mum to get me. didn't do it cause i felt uneasy about it.
when i was diagnosed with "light" asthma i was the happiest kid. i cannot play a basketball match more than 5mn without having to stop, and i love bascketball, but yet, i like it that way and i wouldn't change this even if i could. I also have another possible health problem, nothing diagnosed but i'll do more tests soon. The result could not be cool at all, there is a possibility i might have some autoimmune disorder that might evolve in the future. So when i think about it i'm terrified and do not want it to be true, i hope the doctors will find i have nothing. But at the same time, i hope i am ill, hope something will come out of that, and hope it would "stabilize" the relation i have to pain. If i am sick for real, have something serious, maybe i will stop being obsessed with sickness and stop feeling this frustration/anger when confronted to the pain of others.

The main problem though is that i can not accept to be happy! i just won't, won't let it happen. And when i do get through hard times for real, this all thing disapears, i just wanna get better like anybody else does. And when i do get better, wtf, no, i don't want to, and i get angry, furious, frustrated, and blah. It's been ten years of yoyo like that. At the age of 11 i went through a harsh time, and at the time i wasn't familiar with mental disorders. In grade 7 age 12/13, i was very depressed and had to deal with stuff (now i call the state i was in "pure" because all that pain was real, everything was normal you know, i was just trying to cope, not to sink), and i discovered a forum on the internet for people who were depressed. And this is how mental disorders, depression most of all, became the same as other illnesses to me: convoited, hated people how had it, blah, blah.
then things became really messed up, because i was very depressed myself and couldn't seek help because i didn't want to tell about my problem (not the "muchausen whatever" problem but the problem which was making me depressed), and at one point it started to get twisted, in a way, without confessing this to myself, i wanted to wait for it to get the worst it could, and to get help then. this is how i entered what i call now the "impure" state, because i started to try to fool myself, in a way. i became an attantion-seeker (never actually soughk (sp?) attention, but strongly felt i wanted to).
so when the depressed state got better, i refused it (also because i was angry that nobody had noticed i wasn't ok when i wasn't, but if only it had only been that!), i started to get obsessed with depression and with getting myself depressed again, i tried cutting and did from time to time, but kept hiding it, because i didn't want to let myself achieve this impure will of attention.

A lot of things happened and for the last 2 years or so i was "pure" again, last school-year i finally let myself go to a psy, because some things that happened made me feel stuff again, made me hurt and feel i really needed help. During all this time the "attention seeking" problem wasn't there anymore, i was pure, normal. And now things are little by little getting better, and guess what happens? i refuse it, i'm angry, i feel numb, just because i don't feel pain i feel like i don't feel anything. last year i could go from euphoristic to deeply depressed, and now i feel like the range of emotions goes from -0.1 to 0.1 . i hate it. and if i hear to much about someone having issues, or if i feel like the psy thinks it looks like i'm better, i just get furious, i cut, but i hide it because i know it's wrong. I can't stand reading to much psychology staff, it makes me furious.

I understood only quite recently that there is a sort of "state" i get in when i'm that angry. I feel sort of numb, as if my mood, you know, what you feel in your chest, as if it was way too high. i don't feel emotional at all, just very frustrated and angry about everyone, everything, and i want to hurt myself. last time i really got into this i did 4 or 5 cuts to my arm, not deep, but still, i did it. i calmed down later and thought wtf, and what if i had been more angry, would i have hurt myself more? could i? how fare could i go? sometimes i feel like i'm just waiting for a good "excuse" to end up committing suicide or something. not that i want to die, but i also attach a sort of "prestige" or whatever to it, i'm also obsessed with this (not with committing suicide myself, but with suicide in general, just like sickness or depression). i just think that if i end up, one day, feeling so bad i want to die (which has never happened), i would grab the occasion to commit suicide, just like i used to grab the occasion of a tiny discomfort as a kid to make myself think i was aching.

and now that i am getting away with some issues i am confronted to this again: refusing to be ok, to be happy, not to have issues, feeling numb, frustrated, angry. and i won't tell my psy because i know it's the key to everything. kinda wierd to see a psychologist when you do not want them to actually help you.. well in the beggning i wanted.. but now that i feel better i don't want to ..
so yeah, i thought like, am i going to be like this my whole life? will i end up faking illnesses for real?

i think i'm just very sensitive to something i think i hear from society. Society tells me some people are sick, they are ill or depressed, and society wants to help them, love them, care for them.. so i wanna be them.. i dunno, something like this. if i could live in a world where everybody is ok and where i do not percieve that everyone is obsessed with those who are in pain and that only the sufferers are loved, maybe i wouldn't be that way. i know i wouldn't, and i know this is the key problem: a wrong perception. But this is how i feel and i can't change it!

so i dunno, i this how munchausen starts? i know it is defined by faking illnesses, but faking is an action one does consciously, so i figure there must be a reason behind it, something that causes it. is that what causes it, that feeling? as a muchausen sufferer, what do you think?

the only thing that has actually help me is to be honest to myself. it's only 2 years ago that i started to really tell myself i was feeling that way, before, i refused to see it. i know it's not my fault, it's just a feeling and i don't control it. i do control what i do though, so i figure i won't let the attention seeker inside me get their way. and when i read what i write, i think there really must be something wrong. and then, guess what: something wrong, with me?? how cool!

thanks if you read all that..
Emm'
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:08 am

Postby seafrost94 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:44 am

To the person who posted right above me, I just wanted to say very quickly that I identify with you so strongly, and I am interested to see if your questions have answers, but I suppose there's no way to find out without actually trying to fix it, is there. Oh well, I suppose we can just continue to find wonderful forums like these that have people like us who can give us a little insight. I feel like I have the same thing you do, but maybe just a bit less advanced. A bit less severe. And both of us are less severe than someone with Munchhausen's. But is this how it starts? I hope not, but I also hope so at the same time.
seafrost94
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:08 am

Postby Emm' » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:36 am

seafrost94 wrote:To the person who posted right above me, I just wanted to say very quickly that I identify with you so strongly, and I am interested to see if your questions have answers, but I suppose there's no way to find out without actually trying to fix it, is there. Oh well, I suppose we can just continue to find wonderful forums like these that have people like us who can give us a little insight. I feel like I have the same thing you do, but maybe just a bit less advanced. A bit less severe. And both of us are less severe than someone with Munchhausen's. But is this how it starts? I hope not, but I also hope so at the same time.

yeah i also identified with your post! why would my case be a bit more advanced than yours though? because of the cuts?

anyway, i've been thinking a lot about it lately, about what could be called a disorder and why.. i wondered if this sort of things could really be seen as a disorder, cause.. we're the ones causing everything, right? i mean, maybe i'm just a spoiled narcisistic brat craving for attention, does it make it a disorder? and at the same time there are certain situations which cause huge anger with no apparent rational reason, and then, well... i may be wrong but when thinking about what a disorder is, i always think of the "no control" criteria. Like, if you have depression, you can think whatever you want in your head, it won't make you really feel better. it's (alsmot) pysicall. and if your mood is not down, same, do what you want, you won't make it sink. you don't turn yourself depressed, you don't turn yourself happy. that's why depression is a real mood disorder, that neurosciences can even start to show on computers. well i know it's more complicated than that, but roughly that's how i see it.

but munchausen would be the whole opposit. a perfectly controlled disorder. you're not the victime of something that happens in you (unlike every other physicall and mental disorder in the world, right?). you cause it willingly, on purpose. you decide when to start, when to stop, how to do it. You decide you want to be sick, and on the very moment you hurt yourself in order to pretend, you become sick for real as a Munchausen sufferer. Let me elaborate..

As a kid i always used to think, if i make myself fall down right now, and stop moving, will it mean i fainted? no, cause i'm doing it on prupose. But yet, if i am falling down, if i'm there on the floor, it isn't nothing, something happened and i'm on the floor. but it doesn't make me fainted. so what is it?

Munchausen and facticious in general is a bit the same isn't it? i do that thing, because i want to make myself sick. i create the exterior vision of it because i cannot create it from within. doesn it mean i am sick? not really, because i did it, instead of it doing me. but still, here it is. so what is it? today we answer, it is a disorder and it is called Munchausen. So for a long time i thought it was wierd. anybody could just make themselves ill, not pretend they are ill until they are caught, but decide to be ill and really be, on the moment they do. What else is munchausen? on the very moment you poison yourself to make believe you're sick, or cut yourself to make believe you suffer mental disstress, you become ill for real as a munchausen sufferer. Something didn't make sense to me in this.. a performative illness. i thought it was wierd, an illness anybody could decide to have if they wanted, they just have to hurt themsleves. and here is the part i had missed til recently. "just have to hurt themselves". I had never thought about the action of hurting oneself as being more than an action. I thought it was ridiculous to define an illness by an action (exemple, munchausen), because humans aren't robots and an action happen because of a cause. I thought the cause had to be pathological, not the action. But maybe the pathology lies on this very step to the action. I realised there was a difference between imagining and wanting, and actually doing. Even if the action in itself is very simple (cutting for exemple), it isn't that evident to do, i guess because of the sense and symbolism attached.

So there are many questions in my mind... Is the Munchausen disorder really a disorder and not only the result of desires that don't belong in our societies? why wouldn't people who want to be sick simply be people with a special taste for sickness and attention? Does the pathological moment lie in the step toward the action ( hurting oneself) ? is this action more than a simple action? if so, what is it, what does it imply and what makes someone cross the line ? But if only the action is pathological, then what about the reasons which lead to the action? and what about people who have the reasons, feel the same way as those who act, but don't act? Is the feeling pathological, or is the action so ? and if a feeling can be pathological (exemple, getting furious with always the same trigger with no rational reason), can a whole way of thinking also be? (exemple, wanting to be sick, wanting to hurt oneself)

i guess i'm just trying to find the "passive part" there, cause i just can't imagine a disorder being exclusively created by the sufferer... cause that way it would be decision making as a free individual, not a disorder. So what is the thing that imposes on us there? Cause i would say that's where the pathological element lies.. As fare as I'm concerned, i'd say, to start with, this feeling of intense anger and jealousy that i feel each time i am confronted to illness, pain, and more ewclusively lately, mental illness/pain. the desire to be in that state myself. the pleasure i can get from being sick/hurt myself, in relation to how it makes me be percieved by others. how exactly does this lead to the action of cutting -how related to attention seeking is my cutting anyway since i always hide it but that's another question- ? Again, is the pathology in the step towards the action, or is it in the state that leads to the action? To make a parallele, take paraphilias (illustrations in the paraphilia sectin of the forum!): some people are sexually attracted to kids. Among those people, some get sexual relations with kids, some never do. Still there's only 1 word to describe both those cathegories: pedophile. And yet, some are criminals and the others only victim of uncontrolled feelings (those who never do anything to a kid). I guess we all agree to say they both have the same disorder, some just fullfill their desires and others won't let themselves do it. Why? maybe because they understand how dreadful to the child it would be while the other cathegory doesn't care, i dunno. The question is, does munchausen work in a similar way? a craving that wants to be fullfilled but some people will let it be fullfilled and some won't, maybe for moral reasons, maybe because the craving is less intense for them so easier not fullfill, i dunno, i'm not trying to judge but to understand. Or does something happen on the moment of the action, that turns the whole thing into a pathology?

seems like i'm seeking the uncontrolable again, trying to see where it hides. The feeling that makes one act would be that uncontrolable, and not the action..but i guess i'm wrong. and i bet it's much more complicated and can't be divided so easily into controlable/uncontrolable!

I obviously don't have any answer, i just think the way munchausen is described nowadays is unsatisfactory, because it only takes the action into accounts. But maybe i'm wrong. Anyway it seems like there is almost zero knowledge around that pathology, apparently it's hard to study!
Emm'
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby My name is __ » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:24 am

Hello,

I know how you feel. I'm 15 years old, and I just started searching my "symptoms" today. By symptoms I mean I googled "When you pretend to be medically ill"

Here is my story-

Ever since I was a little girl, I've been obsessed with sicknesses. I would pretend my barbies had diseases. I even chopped off all my doll's hair, and pretend she had cancer. I then started growing up a little more, and my "obsession" started to increase. When I was about 10 or 11 I remember just all of a sudden wanting to tell people on an online game I play, that I was going to die. I wanted the attention. I told the other players that I am sick, and I said that I wasn't going to live past the age of 20. I was 10 at the time, and it gave me that rush of adrenaline to tell my "story" to people. I haven't made up a disease at that time to fake. I just simply said I was dying.

Then I started watching tv shows like Dr. House for example, where patients were sick, and it was giving me ideas. I then told the players on the website that I had gotten sicker, and that there was no telling when I was going to die now. I didn't want there to be a time period, I wanted it to be unknown. I wanted attention, and people to worry about me.

A few years later I created a facebook page where I said I was a little girl with cancer. This went on for a very long time. The character I made was 100% made up, I didn't use my real name or my real age. I created a story for her, and I done lots of research about her cancer so I can get away with pretending to be this made up character. Then I searched up images of kids with cancer, and used those images and said they were me/the character. I even had some of my friends in on it. It was hard to tell them my plan, but them being my friends understood.
After around 2 or 3 years of "playing" with my cancer infected character, I killed her off. I was feeling very guilty, and didn't want to confess. But I still wanted the attention, and I wanted to be loved and cared about forever. So I faked my death. Not my own death of course, but the character I created's death.

I also have a compulsive disorder (for real) that I have been legally diagnosed with called Trichotillomania, which is a compulsive hair pulling disorder. So I shaved my head to see if that would help. The first time I shaved my head, I donated the hair to make wigs for cancer patients. Then when I was bald, I started pretending to have cancer myself. I wouldn't tell anyone I had cancer, but I would just walk around and feed off the looks people gave me. The smiles. I loved all this attention. When my hair started growing back in I started pulling again. I have been going online telling many people that I have liver failure.

A few years later still continuing with my liver failure story it has gotten so out of control, that I have looked for tubes, or anything that looks "hospitally" and I taped them to me, and took pictures of me with the "tubes" on me. I sent them to my online friends who think I am sick. Then a while later, I told my online friends that I have been diagnosed with Neuroblastoma (Cancer) and I tied my hair back, and took pictures to make it look like my hair was falling out from chemo. I then went on GIMP and edited some things to make it look more realistic. After this, I have been wanting to re shave my head for this reason.

I got my friend's dad to shave off all my hair again, it was so compulsive. Just one day I went over there, and asked for a head shave. I was so excited, and I didn't even hesitate. I didn't feel sad as my hair dropped to the ground. Then when I was bald, I begged him to take me to the hospital to donate the hair. I didn't want to go to a donation place, I just wanted to have an excuse to walk around a hospital with a bald head. As we walked around looking for places to donate it, I felt so happy, yet so sad. I seen so many children who are actually sick, and there I am pretending. The small voice in my head saying to stop, I never listen to it.

This online stuff, and walking around with no hair is so much fun for me. it gives me so much satisfaction. Although I never told anyone that I am "sick" I feel as if I'm gaining courage to tell people. I have hinted to people, but like you said, the only thing stopping me from living this lie to it's fullest is my family.

I even shaved off my eyebrows, and told my mother that I burnt them off with nailpolish remover by accident. I keep my head shaved, and my excuse for keeping it shaved is my Trichotilliomania, which I actually have, but is not a huge problem for me anymore. I even keep shaving my eyebrows, and tell my family it's me pulling out my eyebrows now. Which I don't do.

Now, I think this whole pretending has risen to the peak. As now I am actually WANTING to have cancer. I have googled "Easy ways to get cancer" I have sat infront of the microwave for long periods of times. Every little thing I see that may be wrong, taht would scare others, makes me excited. Makes me think it's working. I once sat infront of my microwave for a half an hour, on my laptop at the same time, and the radio blasting out. It was literally a party for 1. Then I started getting very dizzy, and tired. Which I loved. I loved that I was getting dizzy and tired as I'm trying to get cancer. The room smelled really bad, like burnt appliances. After that, I found out that our microwave was broken, and wouldn't cook anymore. The thing is, I want cancer for the attention. I don't care if it hurts, I don't care if the treatments or tests hurt me. I have a very high pain tolerance. But, I do not want to die.

I also recently switched schools, so I go to a new school where I don't know anybody. I love it that they think I have cancer, it makes me feel important, and cared about. Sometimes I think to myself, it doesn't matter if I do something embarrassing, they will still love me because they think I'm sick. I'm a very VERY shy person, and this makes me feel not as shy. I still am shy, but I feel alot better about everything. I don't want to come clean, or get help, or even stop this pretending at this point.
My online friends who I lie to, I don't want to stop because I find it fun. I have really grown to care about some of these people. Some are so important to me, yet they believe this lie.
My name is __
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby esuzie1115 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:07 am

Hello. I am new here, and I am looking for answers/help myself. I feel hopeful because I can relate with people in this forum. I feel all alone. I have Munchausen's Syndrome By Proxy By History. I went to prison in 2007 for Child Abuse because of it. I just got out last month. It has been horrible. I admit it though. It took me years to come full face with it. I don't know what to do now. I see a therapist and am on meds. I have been since 2005. I hate myself because of it. My therapist and I have a goal of figuring out why I turned to that behavior. At the time I felt out of body and like I wasn't even doing anything wrong. I have also ,been diagnosed with PTSD, chronic depressive disorder with psychotic features and multiple personality disorder. I feel crazy. I need help :roll: ...

Me
esuzie1115
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:08 am

Previous

Return to Munchausen Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post