Our partner

Partner with Munchausen or Factitious Disorder

Munchausen Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Terry E.

Partner with Munchausen or Factitious Disorder

Postby wallymw » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:59 pm

I've been with my partner 16 years.
Before we met he had a Spinal Neurofibroma and he seemed extremely obsessed with having had this condition.
After we had been together for a few years he developed a growth on his eyelid he had surgically removed, but posted and led friends to believe it was cancer...which it wasn't. (8 years ago)
I thought we were beyond all of this until three months ago when he fell while we were hiking and hit his head. All seemed to be fine, the after hours doctor didn't refer him for an MRI, which he and our good friends were concerned with...however it seemed like a shoft time after our friend's mentioned that they had a friend that died two weeks after hitting their head, things seemed to get much worse.

After coming back and walking the dog, his speech pattern and what he was saying wasn't making sense. I feared a stroke (even though some of the preliminary tests didn't indicate this) and called the ambulance. He had an MRI was told by several doctors that he didn't have a stroke (even though on FB he said he did to all of his friends), he is still struggling to get through this.

He now has 2 PT visits per week for his strength, he is needing a cane and now has a walker. (He is only 50 years old!!!) Two neurologists now have referred him to a psychiatrist, which I am now scheduling him to visit. Kept saying he would do schedule on his own but hasn't.

He is currently walking like he is 90 years old. If I get upset or get him angry, immediately the walking gets worse and he gets to the point where he falls over. I consistently have to ask many times for him to do something, he can sit in the car for 20 minutes before getting out or be in the bathtub for an hour before I have to get angry to get him out...he just keeps zoning out and not remembering I've asked him to keep moving.

What does seem strange is that when I've watched him from a window (when he doesn't know I'm watching) he still walks with this severe limp. When neighbors have seem him in public (and he doesn't know they have seen them) they notice the same thing.

I think he actually believes he has something and doesn't seem to be trying to 'fool' anyone. Could this still be Munchausen/Factitious Disorder?
wallymw
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Partner with Munchausen or Factitious Disorder

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Wed May 01, 2019 10:29 am

There is also Conversion Disorder. Is there ever a time that he doesn't have the limp?

Does he have a history of early abuse or trauma? Because some of this sounds dissociative to me (the zoning out, and the symptoms getting worse when he is frightened/angry). I guess everything medical has been ruled out? He had an normal MRI, etc?

He should see someone who specializes in psychogenic disorders.
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:14 pm

Postby Terry E. » Fri May 03, 2019 5:55 am

No I don't think it is Munchers.My experience is limited but the one I know was severe in her condition, but would get caught out at times. He sounds like he has a real issue of some type. I have heard teh phrase "learned helplessness", it maybe along those lines.
Terry E.
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:14 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby wallymw » Wed May 08, 2019 2:24 pm

Unfortunately things have gotten worse. He has now wet the bed several times along with fecal incontinence. I have to shave him, brush teeth. His walking is getting much worse and I’ve had to help him off of the toilet several times. I have to go numerous times, each time he says he’s ready to get up but then pauses and ignores me.

Primary care doctor saw his yesterday for shingles and hopefully can help with an inpatient facility. Seeing psychiatrist for first time tomorrow.

Just taking medical leave for work as I have to make sure he is eating and drinking enough.
wallymw
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:14 pm

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Wed May 08, 2019 9:17 pm

I'm sorry to hear that. Have they tested for rare neurological disorders? This sounds like a medical issue to me, and I would make sure that all possible testing is done before deciding that it's psychological. Is he like this all the time, or sometimes he's his usual self? Persistent physical symptoms that never go away are likely to have a medical cause, even if they haven't found it yet.
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:14 pm

Return to Munchausen Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post