Our partner

What Can I Do To Stop The Madness?

Munchausen Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Terry E.

What Can I Do To Stop The Madness?

Postby sistwo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:18 pm

For years now, my sister has been claiming to have more illnesses than I can count. Those illnesses include a brain tumor, arthritis, pneumonia, kidney stones, numerous cancers, chronic pain, fybromyalgia, back problems, neck problems, AIDS, and the list goes on. Recently, it was the flu, which was very convenient since my husband and I just had the flu. She even accidentally texted me that she was diagnosed with the flu. Obviously an accident, because she later apologized for sending it and that it was suppose to be sent to her friend. Her medical file is about 4 feet thick. If she doesn't get a diagnosis she wants, she goes to another doctor and doesn't stop until she finds one that will give her a diagnosis she wants. In most cases, the "illness" just disappears. Like when she had a "brain tumor" and was going to need brain surgery...it just faded away. Also, when she "had all the symptoms of AIDS", it just faded away. Same with the kidney stones. She is constantly researching the internet and finds that she has all the symptoms of one illness or another. Another thing I find interesting is the majority of people she befriends, all have terrible illnesses. I am having a REALLY hard time dealing with her. I hate talking to her, texting with her, even thinking about her. It gets my blood pressure up. We can't have a decent conversation without her talking about one or more of her illnesses. I try to keep the peace by keeping in touch with her, but it just gets me worked up. I actually told her "if you even hear about an illness, you get it". Well, that didn't go well. She told me that's not true and I hurt her feelings. I just want to scream. Can someone please give me guidance on how to deal with this? I just want to tell her she has Munchausen Syndrome, but I know that would get extremely ugly. Would anonymously sending her literature about Munchausen Syndrome be benefical? I really don't know what to do. I just want a normal sister, but I feel like I need to cut all ties with her.
sistwo
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 4:53 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What Can I Do To Stop The Madness?

Postby Selfless74 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:22 am

Hi,

Having been on your sister's side before, the bad news, to get her to stop? There isn't anything you can do.

Not to get her to stop, at least. She has to work a program. Only way I know of-and what allowed me to stop.

On that end, the suggestion I have for you? Alanon.

And give it (the incessant medical stuff) absolutely none of these two things:
1. Oxygen (breathing room, so to speak, do not bring it up in conversation, nothing, if you have to, then do not call for a while). Any attention it is given, is oxygen.
2. Do not give her money for it.

And avoid her on social media.
Selfless74

Diagnosis: Factitious Disorder, recovered (1 year on 1/17/2018)
PTSD

Medication: Lamotrigine (100mg twice daily)-indication, nerve pain, helps mood too.
Selfless74
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri May 14, 2021 4:53 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Munchausen Syndrome Forum