Our partner

MERLD Sucks

Mixed-Receptive-Expressive Language Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

MERLD Sucks

Postby JediKnight2 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:18 am

Hi,

I'm a 25-year-old high functioning autistic male who's been seeing a speech-language pathologist for over 2 years to work on my social interaction and communication skills (not the type of therapy I had as a child to verbalize and pronounce some of my letter sounds better), and according to my therapist, I was told I have MERLD and borderline ADHD as co-morbid conditions along with my autism.

I made it through my undergraduate years of college and other aspects of life, but I'm deeply frustrated over the procedures that must be followed by speech-language pathologists when working with their clients for the acquisition of the limited language skills due to a lack of research that's luckily expanded over the years. What we need is some sort of treatment to help the brains of the language impaired process information quicker within the Broca's and Wernicke's areas (I had to google those words, and I do write quite a lot and fairly well as long as I put in the effort and use online sources like Google.com and the online dictionary). Why should clients, especially children, have to suffer through the cognitive behavioral procedures that must be taken throughout each therapy session? Why should old children, adolescents and adults be medicated throughout social-behavioral and pragmatical therapy? We need some sort of treatment such as an injection, and hopefully there will be a cure one day.

Why isn't there more research on Mixed Expressive-Receptive Language Disorder? Someone should start a support group for those who have MERLD, expressive language disorder or receptive language disorder. Perhaps I could start one within the near future. Under my group, I would attempt to list some positive traits of having MERLD or a related language disorder, and all members affected or surrounded by it could offer support. I would also love to write and publish a book one day, but that likely won't happen for a long time.

Anyway my name is Adam, and I hope to hear back from anyone who posts or lurks here affected by MERLD, ELD or RLD.
JediKnight2
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:42 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: MERLD Sucks

Postby Chucky » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:22 pm

Hi Adam,

Im 26 and I have Asperger's Syndrome (which is sometimes labelled as high-functioning autism). The reason why Mixed Expressive-Receptive Language Disorder is not 'talked' about much is because it is too specific a diagnosis for psychs to feel safe diasgnosing someone with. I mean, the more specific the diagnosis, the higher the chance that the diagnosis is actually a misdiagnosis. That is why the majority of professionals just stick to the standard diagnoses of depression, OCD, anxiety, etc. In my own opinion anyway, MERLD should be viewed as a symptomof Asperger's syndrome, and perhaps not a diagnosis in its own right. However, I'm thinking that you'll disagree with me on this.

Are you in a position to form your own group for this?

Kevin
psychforums.com rules:
http://www.psychforums.com/forum-rules.php

Please send me a private message if you need help with anything.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:42 am

Postby Barc » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:39 am

I know perfectly well how you feel about MERLD JediKnight2, only i do not suffer high functioning autism like yourself. I was diagnosed with 'language difficulties' which is the Australian equivalent for specific language impairment. I saw many speech therapists, occupational therapists as an infant and child and got the treatment i needed. Its not a condition you can really recover from, but i suppose compensate with, a bit like autism. As much as i dislike the social handicaps which come with this delayed language, along with the difficulty in learning environments and acquiring new information, i would still possibly oppose say a hypothetical injection which could cure me. But yes, i'm sure in the future we can see people altering the genes of their children. I'm not sure if you know, but speech/language inadequacies may be very likely atributed to a genetic mutation. The FOXP2 gene has been found to be mutated in some language disordered people. Obviously there are both environmental deprivation related and genetic related components to malfunction in language.

Chucky wrote:In my own opinion anyway, MERLD should be viewed as a symptomof Asperger's syndrome, and perhaps not a diagnosis in its own right. However, I'm thinking that you'll disagree with me on this.

Generally speaking, Aspies are thought to have normal language development and particularly strong vocabulary, which goes against language related disorders besides hyperlexia and pragmatic language disorders. A high functioning autistic can supposably have a speech/language delay however. The only component of language Aspies are generally thought to struggle with is the pragmatic (social) part of language, no the semantics, syntax, etc.
Barc
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Lauz5 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:08 pm

Hey i'm Lauz.

I'm new to this Forum but i am also Diagnosed with MERLD which made me also have Comprehension problems (which means: Cannot understand others and self and also goes *over-friendly* with strangers (which i can't help) ). :cry:

All i need is really good support from others whom also got the same Disorder as i am.

And Also i kindly made a youtube account for those who has MERLD, i don't mind anyone subscribing or be friends with me on there. :) which is http://www.youtube.com/user/ERLD131

And Plus, i'm finding it really hard to make people understand how i'm really feeling inside. So come along and give those who had MERLD a big helping hand. ;)
Lauz5
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby JediKnight2 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:26 pm

Hey Barc and Lauz,

I'm interested in contacting you through the private message option on here. If you have AIM, I prefer you contact me at RWDolfan34. :)

Thanks for writing me back, and thanks for taking the time to read my post. I hope you get my message soon! :)

Adam
JediKnight2
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby JediKnight2 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:47 pm

About the PM....I thought it stood for "personal message" as in using an instant messenger. Oh well, you could still contact me through there, but I may as well get in touch of you through PM for now. :mrgreen:
JediKnight2
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby natalierhoover » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:58 am

MERLD...wondering what type of reading instruction you received through school and if it was helpful. I am a reading/language therapist and most of my students have a diagnosis of dyslexia or related language disorder. However, I am beginning to work with students with RELD and am wanting to see if others have benefited from heavy phonics based instruction OR a more whole language (context clues) approach. Any thoughts on your own experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!
natalierhoover
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:42 am

Postby JediKnight2 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:08 am

Natalierhoover,

All throughout grade school, I managed to make it through because I was placed with the best teachers each year in elementary school while only spending partial time in the resource classroom (the special ed classroom) due to my autism diagnosis.

My biggest problems were in middle school where I never knew how to take my own notes and study for tests. I at least managed to do well on my classwork and homework, yet I was always the last one to finish because I felt like my work would have been careless if I completed it at the same pace as my other classmates. Luckily I attended a private school during those middle school years where I got extra attention and a good education.

Once I got to high school, I was in the ESE department where the work was slack while I still got to take a couple mainstream classes, particularly the electives. Before I began college, I took the College Placement Test at my local community college because I didn't know if I was attending school there or at Florida Atlantic University, the only university I got accepted into thanks to my high GPA, since my SAT verbal score was a bit low after taking the SATs three times. My SAT math score was average but not high enough to take college algebra if I chose to take it at the CC. I was then placed at the third out of three remedial reading classes; that's what helped me prepare for my college courses at my university and community colleges I duel-enrolled in while attending my university. My parents also registered me at the disabilities office at my university and community colleges to get my accommodations of a notetaker, double the time on my tests and to take my tests in a private room. I was also given permission to use a tape recorder, but I never did so. I majored in criminal justice.
JediKnight2
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby MERMOM » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:12 pm

Hi,

My son was diagnosed a few years ago with mild MERLD.

We moved him to a smaller private school to accommodate and he will FINALLY getting speech/language tutoring.
(he didn't test "low" enough when he was in public school. ridiculous)

My question is for those who "suffer" from this. What suggestions do you have for him?
He's pretty good at math and is a great speller, although I think he memorizes the words. (he's good at puzzles, so that's just our theory).
His struggle is with reading comprehension and retention (which makes a lot of sense from what I've read).

He just turned 10 and is a sweet great kid who also excels at sports, so not being able to easily grasp ERL frustrates him all the more. (he doesn't know he "has" something. don't want him to use it as a cop out! ;-)

Thanks for your help!
MERMOM
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby MERMOM » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:25 pm

Can anyone give suggestions on how to help better teach/tutor a boy with this? From your OWN experience in having MERLD?

My son is 10 and struggles with comprehension - E and R.
He's good at math and great at spelling, although we think that might be from memorization.

Thanks for your help!!
MERMOM
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Mixed-Receptive-Expressive Language Disorder