Our partner

BF + LANGUAGE DISABILITY!!!! HELP!!!! PLZ:(

Mixed-Receptive-Expressive Language Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

BF + LANGUAGE DISABILITY!!!! HELP!!!! PLZ:(

Postby Vezira » Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:13 pm

Hi, I'm 19 years old. I am a great person, but I have one problem that has made my life a living hell at times. You'll have to bear with me here. I'll get to the point soon:S.

Anyways, I have a language disability intermixed with receptive, expressive, and possibly ADD characteristics. I have come to see it as something good though. It makes me see the world with more of an open mind, not care about what other people think of me, and, most of all, it has made me the good person I am today. And as I grew, the characterstics have become almost unnoticeable.

BUT...lately I have been having some trouble with it again. I have this great boyfriend that I want to be with forever that has a character flaw. He does not understand illness. He is one of those people that I can mask my disability, but it's a little different with his friends. I act more like how I used to be with my disability when there's even one person in the group that makes me feel threatened. Threatened as in, will pinpoint my disability, which he will mark as stupidity. Also, lately, I have been tired from working hard, and that combined with the number of antiobiotics I have taken from being sick last year, has made the disability characterstics more pronounced. My BF and his friends have noticed this, and he says he doesn't know how to defend me from people saying I am stupid.

I told him that it's a disability, but he thinks of it like a liability and a monster. He rejects it, saying something's distracting me. He has more and mroe become annoyed by my "stupidity and forgetfulness". He is starting to talk about breaking up, but I know it's only because he doesnt understand. But because of my disability, it's hard for me to defend myself, since one of the problems is making people understand what I am saying, especially under pressure. All I do is babble about something and then cry.

I dont know what to say or do. I love him so much,a nd I know he loves me so much if not for this. I've had a lot of bad and/or boring boyfriends, and he's just perfect. He is accepting, except for JUST ONE THING. DISABILITY.

I told him that I want to get help from a psychologist, but he rejects that I have such a problem. He gave me one more chance to prove myself. WHat can I prove without getting help though? i dont have much time. He wants verification that I am helping myself somehow, but what can I tell him as I go to the psychologist? I just need time to go there and be helped, and have an excuse. I just dont know what to do...

One last thing: He didnt directly call me stupid, though he does call me forgetful..His friends and sister call me stupid. MY GOD WHY CANT SOCIETY UNDERSTAND!
Vezira
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:47 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby waterbearer » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:26 am

I know this was a long time ago but I really hope you have let your boyfriend go by now. You describe him as great except for the "one" issue but I see it this way.... If he can't except all of you then he can't except you.

I am a black woman. I was educated around a lot of white kids in private schools a such. Boys liked me except that my thighs and butt were "too big" or my hair wasn't soft enough - typical black girl traits. I could no more change the structure of my body than you can stop having a language "disorder".

Any one worth loving will love you as you are and will not have to "find a way" to defend you. Saying that you are a better person than your attackers is defense enough.

Good luck.
waterbearer
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:47 pm

Re: BF + LANGUAGE DISABILITY!!!! HELP!!!! PLZ:(

Postby kyle123 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:15 pm

i hope this doesnt sound harse but the truth hurts...he doesnt love you if he is judging you and calling you stupid in front of his friends...its understandable he wont toattaly understand but it doesnst seem like he wants to understnad...you can do soo much better!
American
Soldier

you promise me heaven then put me thru hell~bon jovi
kyle123
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:47 pm

Return to Mixed-Receptive-Expressive Language Disorder