Our partner

Broke sobriety, what to do?

Mens health message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Broke sobriety, what to do?

Postby feltguilty » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:24 am

I’m afraid to ask my family and friends about this because they might judge me or worse they might give up on me. I don’t know what I should do after breaking my year-long sobriety from alcohol. I had a mildly severe addiction to alcohol and went to a rehab program for it. It wasn’t easy but I felt better in the end. But I betrayed myself by drinking a shot of vodka in this international brides dating social event that I got invited in. I didn’t really want to drink but my old friends kept pressuring me, told me it wouldn’t harm me. Now, I’m paranoid that I might relapse after that incident. Should I contact a therapist? Do I go back to my old rehab center?
feltguilty
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:54 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Broke sobriety, what to do?

Postby Wally58 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:18 pm

What do you do for current sobriety support?
I go to AA meetings to talk about my issues. You might get some experienced answers from others who have been through a 'slip' and what they did about it.
Total relapse does not have to be a requirement after a slip.
Stopping is easy if you are placed in a rehab, staying stopped is more of a challenge. I know for me that it gets more and more difficult to stop drinking after going back out. At this point I don't know if I would make it back. I won't place myself in dangerous situations without a backup plan. I usually carry my coin in my pocket when I go out where alcohol will be present and hold on to it for reassurance.
My family and friends already know that I don't drink, so I don't get offered a drink.
Alcoholism is chronic and progressive. It would get much harder to quit as it progresses.
Best of luck to you. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Mens Health