Our partner

Work is not for me?

Mens health message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Work is not for me?

Postby dstephan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:37 pm

So I've gotten myself into a field of work without much thought because I was unable to become an engineer in college since I was never good at math.

I recently started working and so far I'm hating it. Being in an office 5 days a week for 8 hours, waking up early and feeling sleepy because of this all day is driving me into depression. I do not like committing to such a schedule as I am feeling trapped. I call it my daytime prison.

I would like to work only in something I find very interesting and my hobbies consume most of my time and I wouldn't mind turning them into a daily job if I could but I can't seem to be able to do so.

Ideally, I would not work until I find something fulfilling. The pay is irrelevant as long as I can pay for myself (gas, food, entertainment, shopping) since I am still living with my parents at home and feel comfortable this way.

My parents are wealthy and can support me financially for the rest of my life so I don't see why I should be suffering everyday doing something I am not passionate about if money is the only reason for work.

I wouldn't mind not working since I always find ways to fill my time with my hobbies so I am not bored most of the time. I am however afraid to tell my parents this because they would never give me their inheritance if I do not make something out of my life so this would not be an option for me and that is the source of my frustration.

The biggest problem is how society views people as workers and that we are worth nothing if not what we have achieved in our careers. Who would ever befriend a lazy person who never worked in their lives and how could you living with people around you knowing you are eternally unemployed?

What to do in my situation? Will I ever change my view on work? When is it too early to judge?

Please guide me through this difficult time of my life as it is the only thing that has ever brought me so much pain.
dstephan
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:10 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Work is not for me?

Postby Casper » Tue May 02, 2017 5:28 pm

As you get older, you'll probably want to be able to support yourself, so having an income that will provide you with more than just the bare necessities will be essential.

That said, I hear what you're saying. To be fair, it's called "work" for a reason. If it was fun and everyone wanted to do it, it would be called "Disney" and we'd have to pay $50 a day to come here. It's just a question of how much are you willing to deal with?

Jobs do need to have some personal satisfaction beyond a paycheck. If you're miserable being a desk jockey for 40 hours a week, then you might want to try a job that gets you outdoors, or in a garage, or wherever you'd prefer to be!

Have you ever heard the Harley tagline "Live to Ride, Ride to Live"? A long time ago, it was unofficially altered to "Work to Ride, Ride to Work." Why? Because we go to work to support out enjoyment. We do what we have to in order to do what we want to. We don't enjoy it, but it's the nature of the beast.

If you think you can get away without having to work, good on ya. But as you said, it's likely your parents would cut you off and you'd have to do what the rest of us do - what we don't like doing...working.

Sorry to burst the bubble.
Casper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:10 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Mens Health