Our partner

I suddenly have no energy to do anything after work hours

Mens health message board, open discussion, and online support group.

I suddenly have no energy to do anything after work hours

Postby anon4108 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:23 pm

Hi

For the past month or two (starting around mid February) I've noticed myself becoming very unmotivated and lazy. For example, I used to go to the gym after work 3 times a week, which dropped to two times, and now I haven't gone at all for about a week. After gym, I would make myself a cup of tea and relax before starting work on my side project, which I work on during the evenings/ night.
That too, has changed, as I can't even be bothered to make a cup of tea. I skip gym, just take a shower and sit on my laptop. But instead of spending that time on my side project, I end up browsing the web ("researching" stuff related to my project), watching videos, and do some chores (cooking, shopping etc) I would rush out of office at 6, and even a single minute wasted would irritate me, but now I don't mind loitering around for a couple of minutes before leaving.

For a bit of background, I'm 25, and my day job is working in an architecture firm. It's been one year working there, and it is not a career I care very much about. That's not a problem, as I took the job to pay the bills while I got my side project off the ground - which is developing a video game. In my adult years, I've been a highly self disciplined and motivated person, always filling my hours with productive work and never lazing around - which is why my current situation is so confusing to me.

I'm very miserly with my time and I protect it fiercely. But recently I don't mind chores and people eating away chunks of my time. I used to feel sad on Sunday evenings as the weekend of working on my project would come to an end, but now I don't feel anything about it. It's like "meh, whatever." And even when I do sit with my work, I prefer to spend time writing out ideas and reading about related things, rather than doing any actual work. The work that I was supposed to have finished in 3 hours has taken me about 3 weeks and it's still not done. I'm moving at a snail's pace.

When it started around February I felt agitation - I ranted for a couple of days to my flatmate about how tired I was and I didn't wanna do stuff like cleaning dishes, cook, or anything at all. I skipped dinner one of those days because sleeping was so much easier to do instead. Then I got a hold of myself over the next few days but I've noticed that the problem hasn't really gone away.

Apart from skipping gym and tea, I spend more time playing video games, browsing the internet and talking with my flatmate. In office I have trouble concentrating on work for long and get distracted easily.

I leave my job in June to work full time on my project.
I'm still as excited as I was in the beginning about doing that, and I think I'll be back to my self motivated best when that happens (with no office to drain me of energy, and being able to work on something I care about instead) but I don't want to spend April and May lazing around making no progress on the project.

Does all this sound like I have a problem that I don't know of? Is it just working in a job that I don't like catching up with me? Or is this a common thing, (I wouldn't know since I've only had a job for the past 1 year) that everyone feels drained out after their day job? (which would explain why many adults spend their free time doing chores, watching TV, and zoning out or just relaxing)

Thanks!
anon4108
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:01 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I suddenly have no energy to do anything after work hours

Postby sarahb73 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:44 am

Lethargy is often a sign of hormonal imbalance. Go to a lab that does blood work without a doctor visit. Have them run a standard blood panel, a hormonal panel, and a FREE testosterone panel. Of course, if you have good health insurance, go to the doctor for these. :)

You would be amazed at what you could learn. Certain hormones that are high or low can cause different feelings and emotions -- and one of them is the lack of desire to do anything.

The second thing you should do is to write down everything you eat each day for one week. Look up each item, write the number of calories of that item and the NUMBER OF PROTEIN for that item. People who do not get enough protein also suffer from lack of desire and lack of interest in doing anything (I was one).

I probably can't link anything, but go to walmart and buy a few "*mod edit*" nutrition bars. DO NOT GET any of the other bars, as they do not have the same low calorie, low carb and high protein content. It is how I solved my problem.

For me, nothing in my blood showed a protein deficiency although my hormones are "out of whack" but the doctors can't figure out why. I'm doing much better with decreased sugar intake and increased protein. I'm a big fan of protein now (although I can't stomach protein drinks).

You can read more online at *mod edit* but it is easier and cheaper if you go to Walmart in the pharmacy/vitamins products section and buy a few bars.

Good Luck.
sarahb73
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:31 am

Postby Evercore » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:18 am

I find exercise during rest breaks at work very helpful for my energy level. Exercise helps to improve your mood and it releases endorphins.

Also- If I am too busy to exercise after, I do not feel guilty about missing the gym if I exercise regularly throughout the day.

Happy to help in any way.
Evercore
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:31 am

Postby Agreab » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:21 pm

This happens to me too. My doctor says that this is chronic fatigue and burning out. I usually take a couple of days off and go out of town.
Agreab
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:31 pm

Return to Mens Health

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post