Our partner

Mother of high-functioning teen

New member to Psychforums, come give us a post and tell us a bit about yourself.

Mother of high-functioning teen

Postby LizBee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:21 pm

Hello,
I am here because of my 17-year-old daughter who has the diagnosis of high functioning (Aspergers), and we are struggling with a number of issues lately.

I'm hoping to benefit from the experience and advice of the members here. She has always been the way she is, but she's only recently been formally diagnosed, so I have not had the benefit of support groups or advice on handling her unique issues as compared to her siblings. I don't know if "Aspergers" is a term that anyone uses anymore, but I don't know how to describe her better than simply "on the specrum," which can mean a lot of different things.

I look forward to getting more information as we try to give her the support she needs as she moves into adulthood. Her therapist has counseled me that she's a few years behind the curve on many things, but that she'll get there.

Liz
LizBee
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Mother of high-functioning teen

Postby quietgirl2538 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:27 pm

Hello LizBee,
Welcome!

I hope you get some helpful replies here or on the Aspergers Syndrome forum. Wishing you all the best. :D
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Dx: Bipolar I and ADD
Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 6 mg
diazepam p.r.n 10 mg twice a day
Elavil (Amitriptylin) 20mg for insomnia
Methylphenidate (Ritalin) 10mg

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538
Moderator: Consumer