Our partner

Advice needed

New member to Psychforums, come give us a post and tell us a bit about yourself.

Advice needed

Postby goodlife5878 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:52 pm

Hello from sunny FL. I am new to this forum and am seeking some advice. An unusual set of circumstances have unfolded at my home and I am seeking advice on how to procees. The father of my stepdaughter has recently been taken into custody by ICE and is facing physical deportation back to the UK. Without getting into specific details, the events that have unfolded with his probable deportation are good things for my household and the upbringing of the child. The mother and I provide a much healthier environment for the six year old. Despite the long term positive outcome that will occur with her upbringing, we are currently tasked with telling the child what has occurred with her father. Despite the father being a neglectful and less than desirable parent, he is of course the apple of his 6 yr old daughters eye. The arrest came just a few short days ago and he has since been sent 5 hrs away to a holding facility awaiting deportation. The child senses that something occurred with her father, but we have not told her specifics yet. Phone communications with him while he is in custody are not permitted, so we are unable to place her on the phone with him. We likely will not be taking her for visitation because we do not to take her to a jail nor do we want her to see him in jail attire. With that said, we are in the planning phase of how to break this news to the 6 yr old. We plan on opening a line of communication with him when he arrives back in the UK. We want to allow him to communicate with the child and we will work towards a trip to the UK for visitation. Please help. How do we break this news to the child? Thanks in advance for any and all commentary.
goodlife5878
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:35 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Advice needed

Postby quietgirl2538 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:03 pm

I know this post is since Feb. 11, 2018.

But is there any news on how you were able to handle telling the little girl about her father being in jail?
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Dx: Bipolar I and ADD
Lamictal 300mg
Wellbutrin XL 300mg
Vraylar 6 mg
diazepam p.r.n 10 mg twice a day
Elavil (Amitriptylin) 20mg for insomnia
Methylphenidate (Ritalin) 10mg

Forum Rules

PsychForum rules and Active Staff
quietgirl2538
Moderator: Consumer