Our partner

It's unethical to not allow deletion of posts

Questions, Comments & Suggestions about Psych Forums.
Anything Site Related To Be Posted Here.

It's unethical to not allow deletion of posts

Postby malfif » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:24 am

I feel so taken advantage of. The reason mods give for not allowing deletion after a short while is that the forum wouldn't be helpful to people with mental health issues if posts disappeared. WHAT ABOUT THE FACT THAT MOST PEOPLE WITH MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES LACK THE ABILITY TO MAKE WELL THOUGHT THROUGH DECISIONS!!??

I don't want any of my posts on here. I came here when I was desperate and broken. Desperate and broken people with nowhere else to turn don't read the rules. They just don't. And the fact that you haven't adjusted your rules to that fact shows that you're not really interested in people's well-being. You're just interested in growing your forum.
malfif
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: It's unethical to not allow deletion of posts

Postby Wally58 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:46 pm

I came here desperate & broken also. I think that many, if not all of us have. Some of us have gone, some of us have stayed. This is a peer-support group. We are here to help each-other.

The moderators & administrators may 'edit' posts that violate forum rules. A lot of administration discussion and energy goes into this on a daily basis. We strongly consider edits that may disclose your identity or location. User names and photo avatars get a high degree of scrutiny.
Member anonymity & safety is paramount here.

We are not professionals and can't give professional advice. I can only share my story and tell you where I've come from. If it helps you, great. Take what you need and leave the rest.

I can look back on my early posts and remember who I was and where I came from, as can anyone here.
I had enough of a 'filter' not to post inappropriate things. Am I proud of every single thing I said here? No, but it was where I was at the time.

Deleting posts is like tearing pages out of a library book that someone may need to read as though their life depended on it.
Think of this forum as a diary or journal if you will. A 'Search' will usually come up with something related.
We are all contributors for the greater good for all of us. :wink:
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:40 am

Postby malfif » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:05 am

So you admit that this forum takes advantage of its users, and that the users are encouraged to write about personal problems to help someone else and not themselves?

The fact that you think your own feelings about your own posts can be transferred to my feelings about my posts just shows that the people running this forum are manipulative. No, I will not be okay with getting taken advantage of just because you claim that you are.

I didn't write my posts for other people, I wrote them for ME, to get help for ME. People who want help need to write their own posts. The fact that you can't understand this again shows what self-serving opportunists the people who run this forum are.
malfif
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:40 pm

Postby Snaga » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:26 pm

malfif wrote:I didn't write my posts for other people, I wrote them for ME, to get help for ME.

You wrote your posts on a publicly accessible forum. To get help for you. And then you would selfishly remove them to not help anyone else? Has nothing else anyone has written in these forums never helped you, yourself?

We do not allow deletion or editing of posts for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which is that the forums would become more full of holes than Swiss cheese, and unreadable, with replies to posts that didn't exist. Broken search links. Not to mention the gaslighting that would go on in some forums, if members of a mental health forum were allowed free reign to write and then edit or delete past the time it takes to correct minor mistakes. I'm sorry, the forum rules are all for a reason, post deletion included. We vigorously mandate forum anonymity for this very reason- that posts are not deleted.

malfif wrote:Desperate and broken people with nowhere else to turn don't read the rules.

malfif wrote:And the fact that you haven't adjusted your rules to that fact shows that you're not really interested in people's well-being.

I very carefully read the rules before ever I posted.

'I shouldn't be held to the rules because I didn't read them' is equivalent to 'I shouldn't be issued a moving violation because I didn't read the speed limit signs'. I'm sorry, but Life doesn't work that way. Be nice if it did, but it doesn't.

If you feel your anonymity has been compromised via divulgence of your user name outside of PF, you're free to contact a member of the moderation team for a one-time name change. If you made a gross privacy violation (real name, address, phone, social media, etc) please bring it to the attention of the mod team by contacting one of us, and we will review and edit, if necessary to bring it within the forum rules on anonymity. You are also free to deactivate your account, if the forum terms are no longer acceptable (User Control Panel, top tab 'Profile', left-hand menu tab 'Deactivate Account'- please be advised that does not delete your posting history but it does close your account here).

I'm sorry you feel this way about PF, we genuinely try to be helpful for everyone that comes here for answers. Unfortunately, it is what it is, and this discussion is ended.
Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also confusing and terrifying.

We do not delete posts.

Without (forum) rules we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.

Image All fear Whip Cream Head!
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:40 am

Return to Member's Corner

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post