Our partner

separate email rule?

Questions, Comments & Suggestions about Psych Forums.
Anything Site Related To Be Posted Here.

separate email rule?

Postby rainfalls » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:18 am

i just wanted to know the reasoning behind this rule?

"All new member registrations require a valid separate email address (dedicated only to psychforums.com communications and protected with a different password than your other mail accounts) which can be verified or confirmed."

i didn't see this when i created my first (now deactivated) account, which is my fault, but now i'm incredibly paranoid about it. i've never seen another website have a rule like this... am i the only one who used their normal email to sign up? can i be found out this way?
rainfalls
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:22 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: separate email rule?

Postby Snaga » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:16 am

Anonymity runs two ways...

When we say in the rules, etc., that users should remain anonymous, we mean it. And that runs two ways. Would you, for example, want notifications from a mental health website, sent to an email address that others might have access to, such as perhaps a work email address that your employer could check, or, a shared husband/wife, or family email address, etc.? The rule is to try and avoid the very paranoia you mention, by suggesting you create an email just for PF.

Keep in mind that you can change your email at any time, from within your User Control Panel:

User Control Panel--> Profile--> Edit Account Settings

rainfalls wrote:can i be found out this way?

No. No one can see your email except for you, and board administration, as described in the Privacy Policy. That information is confidential and not given away, or sold, to anyone.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:22 am

Postby rainfalls » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:49 am

thanks snaga! no one else has access to my email, i'm just going through a bit of 'hacking' phobia ocd where i'm terrified that people will see those things. that rule triggered me a bit as i thought i was just being paranoid about it.

i've already deactivated the account in mention and deleted the emails related to this forum, so i'm not sure there's much else i can do. thanks for the quick reply. :)
rainfalls
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:22 am

Postby Ixion » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:41 am

If the worst were to happen and the site were hacked / compromised, would a potential hacker be able to see people's old emails, or just current ones?
Ixion
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:22 am

Postby NewSunRising » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:14 am

It would take a lot of effort to hack a forum and there are multiple layers of security surrounding this site and any personal information here . I've sent you a PM on the subject but for general information , only Admin has access to e-mail addresses and there are multiple safeguards in place to insure it stays confidential .

Unlike financial institutions and shopping websites , here's really nothing to be gained by hacking a site like this one . Anyone who puts that much effort into hacking a website is usually going for stuff like credit card or social security numbers .

Please put your mind at rest . We don't even allow members to post their own e-mail addresses on the open forum . Your past ( and present ) information is secure .
NewSunRising
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:22 pm

Return to Member's Corner

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post