Our partner

Prozac and Wellbutrin drove me crazy...what next?

Medication message board, open discussion, and online support

Moderator: Wally58

Forum rules
We are not professionals on this site, nor are any of the members. Always consult with your physician or other doctor about any type of medications.

Prozac and Wellbutrin drove me crazy...what next?

Postby stormsandsea » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:18 am

About me: hypothyroid which doesn’t help mental state/moods. Diagnosed with persistent depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder in 2012, though I was experiencing symptoms a few years before that. Highly probable BPD.

I’ve tried two major classes of meds, SSRIs and NDRIs, and had bad reactions to both; one made me manic and overweight, the other made me paranoid. I really want to regulate my moods with medication and I'm not sure what to try because I'm terrified of going insane and becoming fat again. I hope someone can give me advice based off my story below:

In August 2013, I began 10 mg of Prozac, then bumped up to 20mg by Jan. 2014. I was going through a bad time with my anxiety while preparing to study abroad, so my doctor said upping the dose would help me. Well…within a month of upping the dose, it began getting dark. I started acting impulsively, became overly talkative and confident (arrogant, even), began having risky hook-ups when high/drunk, etc. However, I’d sometimes cut or lie in bed depressed for hours the next morning while feeling guilty and out of control.

But the ‘highs’ that Prozac gave me were SO addicting and freeing and I couldn’t stop. Meanwhile, it made me super unhinged with my eating/drinking, and I packed about 30 lb. in 10 months. In June 2014 I moved back, my mom immediately saw the change in me and took me to a new shrink. Tapering off Prozac was brutal…almost ended up in the ER two times. I self-medicated with Attivan and alcohol to avoid going crazy, but a few weeks later I was more like the old me and ashamed of the whole ordeal.

After this, I tried St. Johns Wort and natural drugs for a few years but it didn’t help…In the winter of 2017, another shrink said ‘just try Wellbutrin instead' and I reluctantly agreed to try 75 mg…fast-forward 1 week later and I’m so paranoid I’m afraid that people on the street are talking about me, I feel like I smoked too much weed, and I'm antsy. I read that weed and Wellbutrin both affect dopamine re-uptake, which seemed like way too much of a coincidence. Immediately stopped the drug and felt like my old self...not better but not insane, at least!

I’m not sure what to try next but if anyone is out there who can help, I appreciate it. I’m so tired of negligent shrinks who don’t plan ahead and aren't there to support me.
stormsandsea
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:19 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Prozac and Wellbutrin drove me crazy...what next?

Postby zer0space » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:04 am

Wellbutrin is known for being off-brand weight loss, but I've found it lacking when it comes to anti-anxiety. Prozac (personally) has worked wonders for my day-to-day "mild" anxiety and my heavy depression. Currently, I am on both medications. Sometimes when Prozac (or any other anti-depressant) is not working as well as it should, they pair it with Wellbutrin. Or up the mg.

I'm only speaking from my own experiences here.. but whoever you are seeing, doctor / psychiatrist, needs to know about your Prozac experiences and your problems with Wellbutrin. They need to know of your possible BPD.

The game of anti-depressants is like shoe shopping. A lot of the time, you have to try multiple shoes on in order to find the perfect fit. It's not an easy or fast process by any means, but when you find the perfect shoe... 8) No matter what medication you're on, though... you can't drink while taking them, nor abuse other drugs. It keeps the medication from being able to do its job.
zer0space
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:19 am

Postby PsychoGenesis » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:40 pm

psychosis is a common side of wellbutrin

you did like prozac ''high'' why dont you try a gabaergic?? it doesn't make you hungry
''our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate
our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure''

rs1042778, rs4790904 homozygous ┬┴┬┴┤( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
PsychoGenesis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:19 am

Postby Justddrown » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:05 am

Zoloft and Wellbutrin

-- Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:06 am --

Zoloft and Wellbutrin

-- Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:07 am --

There are certain throid medications that can work as an anti depressant as well.
Justddrown
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:19 am

Return to Medication

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post