Our partner

Moving from 50mg of Sertraline to 100mg (advice needed)

Medication message board, open discussion, and online support

Moderator: Wally58

Forum rules
We are not professionals on this site, nor are any of the members. Always consult with your physician or other doctor about any type of medications.

Moving from 50mg of Sertraline to 100mg (advice needed)

Postby rms18 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:53 pm

I have been on 50mg or Sertraline for 4 years now and all seemed to be going okay, however with that said I was also smoking cannabis during that time. I quit Cannabis 1.5 months ago and after a month I suddenly started to creep back into real anxious mode. I then decided to move up to 100mg of Sertraline but after a week I was feeling awful and guilty all the time with racing thoughts. I spoke to my doctor and moved back to 50mg. Thing is I still feel the same now back on the 50mg so I went back to my doctor and he asked me to give the 100mg longer this time.

Has anyone else had bad side effects when moving from 50 to 100 at first and does it pass and get better if I stick at it? I have done so much reading about it all but just can't find an answer.

Im not sure whether its simply the Cannabis withdrawal waiting for my brain to recalibrate and if I stayed on the 50mg and waited that out it would be okay. Or if my body is tolerating the 50mg too much now and I really do need to move to 100mg.

I am not asking for anyone to give me professional answers as I realise you can't on this forum but has anyone else had some experience moving up a dose and can give me some feedback on how it went for them. Thanks!
rms18
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:32 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Moving from 50mg of Sertraline to 100mg (advice needed)

Postby Wally58 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:45 pm

I would really follow the advice of your doctor.
Suddenly doubling a dosage can cause issues with some medications in some people and any dosage increase should be done incrementally under a doctor's close supervision.
Mention that you have stopped or are trying to stop cannabis. This could be significant.
Best of luck to you. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:32 am

Re: Moving from 50mg of Sertraline to 100mg (advice needed)

Postby rms18 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:55 pm

Yeah I spoke to him about Cannabis aswell and he was saying it could be up to 6 months before I feel better with regards to that. This is why I was thinking should I just stick it out with the 50mg and wait for the Cannabis issue to subside or move to the 100mg during my Cannabis withdrawal phase for the little extra help there. But then I don't want to move back to 50mg after that and feel bad again.

It's just such an uncertain rollercoaster of decisions and my anxiety really doen't help it!

Thanks for the reply :)
rms18
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:32 am

Return to Medication

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post