Our partner

Antipsychotics for schizoid attention deficiency

Medication about Anti-Psychotics message board, open discussion, and online support.
Forum rules
We are not professionals on this site, nor are any of the members. Always consult with your physician or other doctor about any type of medications.

Antipsychotics for schizoid attention deficiency

Postby Vieno » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:51 pm

Hey

Today I saw a psychiatrist for my schizoid problems for the first time in my life; anhedonia, nearly absolute lack of meaningful relationships and inability to focus on external stimulus (mainly text). Because of my young age (18), she refused to say anything but "you're young". I stressed the inability to focus as the most acute problem, as it prevents me from studying and thus doing something beneficial while trying to get a better social life and recover from anhedonia. Thus she prescribed me perphenazine. I was surprised and tried to ask what's it for, but she didn't really say anything. I insisted to get information, and all she said was that it's an "universal soul medicine". She said that it glues the problems of soul together. What the hell... well anyway, I also managed to arrange upcoming meetups with a psychologist so all good for now, but what I'm wondering is that what can these drugs do to me?

I am not psychotic at all. I am just extremely introverted; talk to myself and isolate myself from the outer world to my own thoughts which makes it very difficult to read anything at all. I just start to think about other things immediately after grabbing a book. It's not ADHD: this has only occurred after I turned 17 and I have tried ADHD meds and they had no impact. So I'd just like to get some general feedback on these antipsychotics. I have no exact questions, I'm just curious if anyone with a personality disorder has tried and/or benefited from antipsychotic drugs.

Thank you :)
Vieno
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:58 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Antipsychotics for schizoid attention deficiency

Postby indifference » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi,

I'm on Abilify. I've been prescribed a number of different anti crazies but the side affects were too much that I ended up going full circle back to Abilify. Some I gained weight - I couldn't stop eating, others I have severe anxiety which didn't help me deal with my day to day struggles of telling what is real.

It's not a wonder drug, I still have moments where I cant tell reality from insanity but overall they help me be more "normal".

I'm Schizotypal with mild occasional psychosis, but I tick all the boxes for schizoid. I have no emotional connections and take no enjoyment in interacting with people etc etc - basically people suck so why bother... The tablets however help me with my act of being normal, and interacting with others, they do not however help me concentrate or take part in other activities. My attention span is still somewhat the same - non existent. Which doesn't help me at work or study...

"universal soul medicine"? I wouldn't go that far. They help stop/reduce the abnormal behavior/thoughts etc but soul medicine it is not. I still struggle with $#%^ in my head even with meds.

Anyway I hope they work for you.
Dx: Schizotypal Personality Disorder with ASPD traits

Rx: Abilify 30mg, Escitalopram, Lorazepam, Alprastad

“Schizoid behavior is a pretty common thing in children. It's accepted, because all we adults have this unspoken agreement that children are lunatics.”
― Stephen King
indifference
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:58 am

Postby Cheze2 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:02 pm

Perphenazine is used to treat the symptoms of schizophrenia typically. I have heard that more and more psychiatrists are prescribing anti psychotics to treat ADD/ADHD symptoms.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000601/
Here is a link to some info about Perphenazine and it's side effects.
Bipolar I with Psychotic features; Borderline Personality disorder; GAD
Today's cocktail is: Quetiapine 100mg; Latuda 40mg; Trilafon: 8mg
Forum Rules
"No matter how long the night, the dawn always breaks" -African Proverb
Cheze2
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:58 pm

Postby Vieno » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:55 am

Hey, thanks for the replies. I read them right away but forgot to reply as the conversation got much more active at the Schizoid Personality Disorder forum. Just wanted to let you know that your answers have been registered to my mind : ) I never took the meds. I don't think a universal soul medicine exists :mrgreen:
Vieno
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:58 am

Postby craycray4life » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:31 pm

"Universal Soul Medicine"? I think your doctor sounds bat $#%^ crazy and you should find a different doctor.
DX: Mixed Personality Disorder NOS, anxiety, major depression, ADHD.
craycray4life
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:58 pm

Return to Anti-Psychotics

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post