Our partner

Switching from Olanzapine to Aripiprazole

Medication about Anti-Psychotics message board, open discussion, and online support.
Forum rules
We are not professionals on this site, nor are any of the members. Always consult with your physician or other doctor about any type of medications.

Switching from Olanzapine to Aripiprazole

Postby serishema » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:03 pm

I've been on Olanzapine for maintenace ever since I had a Psychotic episode in 2017 which worked.
I haven't had another episode and only hear voices occasionally.
But it made me gain 34kg (americans that's 74.9 lbs) so I had a talk to my doctor who initally offered me an expensive diabeties drug I can't afford. I suggested changing antipsychotics to one with lower weight gain potential. So I'm switching to Aripiprazole

I'm a bit anxious as to what effect switching meds will have on me because i've been stable so long and don't want to relapse.
How have people found Aripiprazole for weight? I'm on 15mg.
serishema
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu May 19, 2022 2:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Switching from Olanzapine to Aripiprazole

Postby Wally58 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:03 pm

First, I am not really familiar with these medications, but I congratulate you on 5 years without a major episode. I have friends that have taken Abilify.
You and your Doctor will monitor the new medication as a team and I hope that you do well with it.
If you notice anything odd like unexplained feelings of harming yourself or side-effects that interfere with your well-being, contact your doctor or pharmacist immediately.
I tried a new med that gave me itchy, swollen ankles (water retention) and diabetes runs in my family also. The doctor said to stop taking it immediately and was calling a new med into the pharmacy right away.
The body may go through an adjustment to the new med. I can understand your discomfort of trying something new, especially if the old one is familiar and seems to work so well. The doctor wouldn't suggest a change if he/she thought that it wouldn't be successful.
Again, you must speak up if you don't think it is working. You are the only gauge that your doctor has on whether it will be successful or not.
Good luck on the weight-loss. Some meds will do that.
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Wed May 18, 2022 10:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Anti-Psychotics

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post