Our partner

Back to Abilify without the doctor's permission?

Medication about Anti-Psychotics message board, open discussion, and online support.
Forum rules
We are not professionals on this site, nor are any of the members. Always consult with your physician or other doctor about any type of medications.

Back to Abilify without the doctor's permission?

Postby Stefalicious » Wed May 06, 2015 12:02 am

(I am really bad at writing stories because my head is so active all the time. Me being Dutch doesn't really make it any better, so please bear with me)

Some background info: Male, 17 year old, Dutch, recently diagnosed with ADHD and possibly a personality disorder, feeling lonely, tired, sick, depressed, sitting in my bedroom all day long. I am posting this on an English forum because Dutch forums are very inactive and I won't even bother waiting 2 days for a reply.

3 years ago my psychiatrist told me to try out Abilify. At first he recommended Risperidon but I didn't want to take the risk because a main side effect was weight gain and I was already overweight at that point (it's even worse now). I started off with 5 mg (just split it in half) and if left me with no side effects, except for the fact that I fell asleep at random times because I was so tired that I just couldn't keep my eyes open. After this side effect faded away, my parents and other relatives started seeing big improvements, like I was another person.

I don't know what caused me to stop using Abilify at a certain point, but now that I'm 17 years old, and we're 3 years later, I really feel the need to start using it again. Things are going not so well with my girlfriend. Throughout our entire relationship I have been morbidly jealous and suspicious, to the point where I wouldn't even let her wear skinny jeans when she went to school because I didn't want other boys to look at her butt. On top of that, my home situation isn't going too well either. Me and my parents are literally in a love-hate relationship in which we can all be happy one day, and fight like monsters the next day.

2 days ago I started taking Abilify again. I started with 10 mg immediately because I totally forgot that I should start out with a lower dose. This made me sick, I almost fainted (literally fell to the floor with my head banging and my heart pounding) and I was sleeping throughout the entire day. Now I feel okay again, and yesterday I didn't take any Abilify because I was scared. Now that I realise that I should start out with a lower dose, I am willing to try again. Instead of taking it in the morning, I took it an hour ago because I'm going to sleep after I post this thread. I tried to cut off about 1/4 with a knife (that would be about 2,5mg). And this leads to the first question. People are recommending me to take Abilify in the evening because the main side effect is feeling sleepy. But the effect of Abilify only lasts for 12 hours. This would mean that if I would take it at 10 PM, the effect would have disappeared already the next morning. That would mean the Abilify won't work throughout the next day, right? Please explain if I'm wrong. Also, I never contacted the doctor to ask if it was okay to start taking it again. Is this wrong? Should I contact him anyway to ask if it would be a good idea? Please let me know guys, thanks!
Stefalicious
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Back to Abilify without the doctor's permission?

Postby voracious_lemon » Thu May 07, 2015 12:48 pm

You should definitely let your doctors know of any medications your taking, so you can prevent the passing out and heart beating and nausea. I take my antipsychotic (similar to Abilify but I'm on Clozapine) at night and after a week or two of taking it levels will even out and be consistent throughout the day so it should work even if you take it at night. But yeah, definitely talk to your doctor before taking anymore.
All I saw was the Devil's soul
And it looked a helluva lot like my own
voracious_lemon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (10)

Return to Anti-Psychotics

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post