Our partner

Experiences with Sertraline?

Medication about Anti-Depressants message board, open discussion, and online support.
Forum rules
We are not professionals on this site, nor are any of the members. Always consult with your physician or other doctor about any type of medications.

Experiences with Sertraline?

Postby Eirwyn » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:57 am

I'm starting on Sertraline. I'll be taking it with Respiridone and Bupropion, the latter for only a little while until I can wean myself off it. I read the pamphlet that comes with the medication and it says I'll require monitoring if I'm taking Respiridone.

For clarity, I'm taking it for depression, but I'm diagnosed not as depressed, but schizoaffective, bipolar type. I would particularly like to hear about the experiences of people who are also schizoaffective, in the hopes that similar brain chemistry might help me predict if my experience will be like yours was with Sertraline.
Eirwyn
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:36 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Experiences with Sertraline?

Postby CrackedGirl » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:34 pm

Dear Eirwyn,

I am not schizoaffective but I do have bipolar 1 with psychotic episodes. I get very low to the point of admission or crisis team cover, but then tend to go very high once on antidepressants. I have found that sertraline does cause this but usually to a lesser degree. It also seems to kick in quite quickly and dose adjustments also seem to work quite quickly for me. I also get no side effects that I have noticed (except going high) apart from at one point when on the highest dose I found it difficult to pass urine but that stopped quickly and I have never experienced it since, even on that same dose.

I don't know if any of this helps.

I hope it works out

Cracked
So long and thanks for all the fish

Now we are out of the sea and we're keeping away from the sharks

We don't delete posts on demand

The Rules

When all else fails, hug the CAT

Obey The Moderator

CrackedGirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:36 am
Blog: View Blog (177)

Postby somekindamillie » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:32 pm

I'm on 100mg sertraline for depression but it doesn't seem to be making any difference. It has made me feel really numb too, I don't really like it :/
Dx: Borderline personality disorder, depression, anxiety
Currently taking: 50mg Quetiapine

“I have come to believe over and over again that what is most important to me must be spoken, made verbal and shared, even at the risk of having it bruised or misunderstood.”~ Audre Lorde
somekindamillie
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby gotjavaman79 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:19 pm

I been taking Sertraline for almost a year now up to a 100mg a day for my depression. It takes some time to get used to the numbness, the nausea, and the constant bathroom breaks from either diarrhea or urine.

Its now well under control within a month or so after slowly increasing my dosage 25mg at a time. Sticking to a standard dosage now everyday keeps everything in balance.

Good luck. :D
gotjavaman79
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:36 pm
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Ana B » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi.
I'm on sertraline and risperidone as well. Both were prescribed to help my GAD, but I was diagnosed with Depression last week and Risperdal helps with my anger issues.

I'll tell you something, sertraline has helped me a lot more than Prozac. I was put on sertraline when I was 12 - I had been on prozac since I was 8, but it suddenly didn't work anymore.

I started with a 50mg dosis that helped until last year, when I had the GAD crisis. Then my psychiatrist upped my dosis to 100mg, and when it didn't work, to 150mg. It worked for a while, along with risperidone (75mg), but now I feel that both meds aren't enough. I'm seeing my psychiatrist this week and I hope he can up the dosis, because I'm not willing to let all benefits that come from meds go away.

Some people had side effects with sertraline - I didn't. I did have side effects with risperidone that went away in a few days. Now there's nothing.

Don't fear it, trust your doctor. Wait a few months, and if you feel that it isn't working, talk to your psychiatrist and see what (s)he can do.

Good luck!
Ana B
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:36 am

Postby xxGrahamxx » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:54 pm

Ana B wrote:Hi.
I'm on sertraline and risperidone as well. Both were prescribed to help my GAD, but I was diagnosed with Depression last week and Risperdal helps with my anger issues.

I'll tell you something, sertraline has helped me a lot more than Prozac. I was put on sertraline when I was 12 - I had been on prozac since I was 8, but it suddenly didn't work anymore.

I started with a 50mg dosis that helped until last year, when I had the GAD crisis. Then my psychiatrist upped my dosis to 100mg, and when it didn't work, to 150mg. It worked for a while, along with risperidone (75mg), but now I feel that both meds aren't enough. I'm seeing my psychiatrist this week and I hope he can up the dosis, because I'm not willing to let all benefits that come from meds go away.

Some people had side effects with sertraline - I didn't. I did have side effects with risperidone that went away in a few days. Now there's nothing.

Don't fear it, trust your doctor. Wait a few months, and if you feel that it isn't working, talk to your psychiatrist and see what (s)he can do.

Good luck!

Ana,
I have been taking 50mg sertraline for 5 weeks now, for anxiety and OCD, it seems to be helpinga little...I have suffered severe loss of libido and erection problems, unable to ejaculate, have you had similar side efects?

G
xxGrahamxx
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby bluering » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:29 pm

I have been on sertraline for depression for just over a year now and at first though it may be helping but wasn't sure. Then the doctor increased it to 100mg and I felt the difference within a few days. Its helped so now I am scared to come off it. Ive been on that dose for about 9 months now and my depression has bee triggered and worsened in the last month so I am going to ask my doctor if he will increase it again. All the best with it!
bluering
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Return to Anti-Depressants

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post