Our partner

Problems with different AD's

Medication about Anti-Depressants message board, open discussion, and online support.
Forum rules
We are not professionals on this site, nor are any of the members. Always consult with your physician or other doctor about any type of medications.

Problems with different AD's

Postby freya1972 » Sat May 16, 2015 6:55 pm

Hi

Having had serious mood swings since I was around 14-15 (I'm now 43) I recently (finally) sort help from my GP. So far I've tried Fluoxetine 25mg but had to stop after two days due to palpitations and in one week Sertraline 50mg and Citalopram 10mg (separately) but within hours my mind started racing along with the dreaded anger and irritability so had to stop. My GP has now (yesterday) started me on Mirtazapine 15mg as a last ditch attempt to bring moods under control before doing a psych referral. I woke this morning feeling dizzy and zombie like (normal for Mirtazapine) but now the anger and irritability is breaking through again which probably means I should stop :(

The big question: Is it normal for different types of AD's to have the same effect on me and in such a short time frame?

I should also point out that I have taken Amitriptyline for chronic migraines and was fine (apart from it not touching my migraines) until I reached 100mg when I then struggled to sleep.
freya1972
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:09 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Problems with different AD's

Postby Ada » Sat May 16, 2015 10:31 pm

I'd talk to your GP again if possible before stopping. Unless the anger might result in hurting yourself or others. It could be that it's a side effect that will ease up after a few days. So if it's safe. It might be worth continuing. I also wouldn't change the dose without professional medical advice. [I am not a doctor or professional.] However your GP may suggest increasing the mirta. Since 15mg is more common for sleeping issues. And 30mg or more for depression. It's good that you're starting on a low dose though, to see how your body and mind react.

I don't know if "normal" really helps here. It's "normal" for penicillin to cure bacterial infections. But it kills some people who turn out to be allergic to it. While it has no effect on resistant bacteria in others.

However, the psych referral might be a good idea no matter how the meds go. You've been dealing with this for a long time.
We think too much and feel too little.
 More than machinery, we need humanity.
 More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness.

Charlie Chaplain in The Great Dictator
Ada
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:09 am
Blog: View Blog (35)

Return to Anti-Depressants