Our partner

Psychiatrists Don't Care

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: Otter

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Psychiatrists Don't Care

Postby DepressedLibra » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:38 am

I been trying to find help emailing psychiatrists for help...none of them seem to bother answering me back for an appointment. I guess maybe I say too much and they don't want to deal with someone who has a history of being hospitalized for OCD, cutter, had failed past suicide attempts years ago, who has anger issues and is verbally abusive. Kind of hurts when you try to reach out to them and they never respond back. I even said I was willing pay out of pocket if insurance didn't cover, no response. I guess they figure I got too much baggage and won't be an easy client. Kind of hurts makes you feel like there is no hope.
DepressedLibra
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:18 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Psychiatrists Don't Care

Postby Wally58 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:11 pm

I don't think that it is because they don't care. Many of them do care. I care. We care.
Most are professional enough to take on a challenge. A phone call to their office to set an appointment may be more fruitful than sending an email.

Some doctors are currently not taking new clients, but they should at least have the courtesy to tell you this and not leave you hanging.

I found that the most helpful therapists & social workers for me had went through what I went through. They could relate to the despair & mind-set that I had.

Mild medication helped. The 12-steps helped. Intense aftercare sessions helped.
Please don't stop searching for what you need. Many the in public safety sector are helping to place people who ask for help. You are not alone.
Best of luck to you. :D
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
Wally58
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:18 am

Postby DepressedLibra » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:14 am

Well one doctor replied back to me that she is sorry but she does not specialize in what I am describing...yet on her website she says "Depression and Anxiety" which is exactly what I am suffering from. So it didn't make sense for her to email me back saying she is sorry she doesn't specialize in Depression & Anxiety when it says she does right on her website ?
DepressedLibra
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Snaga » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:16 am

DepressedLibra wrote:Well one doctor replied back to me that she is sorry but she does not specialize in what I am describing...yet on her website she says "Depression and Anxiety" which is exactly what I am suffering from. So it didn't make sense for her to email me back saying she is sorry she doesn't specialize in Depression & Anxiety when it says she does right on her website ?

Must have been something else then? The Anger issues, maybe. My understanding just from what I read around here is that it seems a good number of therapists don't understand OCD very well, might have been that.
We do not delete posts.
Please do read the Forum Rules
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:18 am

Postby DepressedLibra » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:23 am

Snaga wrote:
DepressedLibra wrote:Well one doctor replied back to me that she is sorry but she does not specialize in what I am describing...yet on her website she says "Depression and Anxiety" which is exactly what I am suffering from. So it didn't make sense for her to email me back saying she is sorry she doesn't specialize in Depression & Anxiety when it says she does right on her website ?

Must have been something else then? The Anger issues, maybe. My understanding just from what I read around here is that it seems a good number of therapists don't understand OCD very well, might have been that.

...maybe... that could be.

Oftentimes I get extremely sensitive and take things the wrong way like it is a personal attack. I was taking it as her way of just not caring and trying to shove me off. I was taking it as I am just too much baggage and she had other clients who would be much easier to counsel for the same money. Felt very hurtful, like she just didn't' care about my feelings... but my wife says I get very overly sensitive and hurt easily and that turns into anger and that anger causes me to verbally snap out of anger at people because my feelings feel very hurt inside.

So maybe I was too quick to judge.
DepressedLibra
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby verbed » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:34 pm

In short, the initial statement seems true. It's a controlled jungle.
verbed
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:18 am

Postby andrew112 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:56 am

I have felt the same way in the past. Even now, I still feel like the psychiatrist I am currently seeing just doesn't care. He sits there on the couch, not making eye contact with me just writing things down and typing on his computer. It seems like he really, genuinely, doesn't care. I also heard him call me a "psychopath" one time. He really is not qualified to be a practitioner if he is going to conduct himself like that. He's a psychiatrist, for crying out loud. He should be well-versed in all psychiatric conditions. Even psychosis. And I am not a "psychopath", like he labeled me. It's a stereotype, and he does not deserve to be practicing if he is going to exude such a blatant, conspicuous, vituperative demeanor on his part. He is there to serve my needs, not the other way around. It's really pathetic.
andrew112
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:18 am

Postby jsodhoptl5 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:25 pm

Sorry you feel this way! Agree with above that a phone call may be more beneficial.

Otherwise, please don't let a few negative experiences interrupt your journey to self-care!
jsodhoptl5
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post