Our partner

Mentally ill but having a successful life?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Mentally ill but having a successful life?

Postby FreshGuy » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:40 pm

Has anyone with unable to work due to mental health issues ever eventually recovered and gone on to have a successful life and career?

Is this even possible?

I am looking for examples of regular people, rather than celebrities, as being a millionaire superstar is unrealistic and unobtainable for a lot of people so I’m looking for more realistic examples,

Thanks
FreshGuy
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:09 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Mentally ill but having a successful life?

Postby Una+ » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:13 pm

Having a successful life and mental illness are two entirely separate challenges.

Recovery from mental illness is the norm. The most common serious mental illnesses are treatable and temporary: severe anxiety, depression, post traumatic stress disorder, etc.

And supposedly chronic, incurable serious mental illness such as schizophrenia can be managed or even resolved.

And many people living with chronic serious mental illness have successful lives.

An old quote comes to mind: “Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts.” Carry on.
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Remember Ronni » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:59 am

I suffer from BPD. I wasn't diagnosed though until I was 50. In the meantime I had a successful career as a lawyer, with BPD, for about 25 years. I had a breakdown around 40 and was off work as a result for several years. I then went back to work, as a lawyer. Sadly there was further breakdown so I'm not working at the moment. But the thing is before this I would have said my life was successful. I had a long career as a lawyer and I own my own home. The second breakdown had nothing to do with work - family issues etc.

Most mental illnesses can be managed if not treated. You might be surprised just how many 'ordinary' people you see at work or at home who suffer from mental illness. They just don't broadcast it. In my 25 year career no one picked up that I had BPD, not even the professionals.
Diagnosed with Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder (BPD)
Remember Ronni
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:09 am

Postby floatingtree » Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:20 pm

You could take a look at the blog called "cyclothymia bites".
floatingtree
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Blog: View Blog (12)

Postby MeWeUsThem » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:07 am

Successful life to me is paying the bills monthly- like all normals living check to check- until something stupid happens like an alter decides they want to quit in a bipolar fury kind of way. So far so good.
We are multiple that's co-con with no host in a poly-fragmented way. This system is 47 years old and also bipolar affected. We have always operated in co-operation and switching happens moment to moment. Integration is a pipe dream so this is how it's to be to death do we part.

We are good with that. ;)
MeWeUsThem
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:09 am

Postby MindfulThoughts » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:38 pm

My life is more successful (despite my mental illness) compared to people without mental illness. I am quite proud of my resilience!
MindfulThoughts
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby theboys » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:02 am

We have always worked but it wasn't until more recently that I realized some of my particular skills are born of dissociation and chronic PTSD. I think the key is finding a place and roles that work for you.
theboys
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:09 am

Postby Jolly jo » Sat May 15, 2021 7:11 pm

I realise this is a slightly out of date thread but I have a life in two halves. I have a very successful work life but my private life is the opposite. I have a work alter that does work and she is determined, skilled, dogged. A few years ago she was working in the morning and we were sectioned in the afternoon.
Diagnosed DID with a few other states.
Jolly jo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:09 am

Postby dingbat13 » Mon May 24, 2021 3:02 pm

I have a couple examples. I was living with mental illness starting about my teen years, if not sooner. It started as depression. Eventually, there were manic episodes, the first in my early twenties. Somehow, I served four years in the US Air Force, took several years to get a bachelor of science in computer science (overall grade of B). My first computer programming job I had I only stayed a couple years and then moved on to a better paying employer also offering better benefits. I've been at that job over 20 years now and still going on. I'm earning more money than I dreamed I would, I like my job and the people I work with, and I have their respect.

Another example I have is a friend that I met at the support group meetings I attend. He was in his late thirties. Up until that time he was on disability because he has schizoaffective disorder. He went from having no job, to having a job, buying a car, getting a driver's license, and acquiring a girlfriend. He is currently not receiving disability because he voluntarily stopped it because of the money he is now earning. He even quit smoking, too, and goes to a gym/health club and works out regularly.
dingbat13
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:09 am

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post