Our partner

Any Idea What This Is?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: thegentlepath

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Any Idea What This Is?

Postby Baventhiran » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:29 am

Hi, any idea what this is?

[*]While awake and conscious, suddenly Jill acts strangely by suddenly telling Susan about the greater things in life.
[*]Susan is unsure if Jill is being normal or unusual.
[*]After the incident is over, Susan talks to Jill about it, and Jill responses with having no recollection of the incident.

What happened to Jill during the incident? So far the answers I've gotten are thought-block and delusion. I believe it's deeper than that. What do you think?
Baventhiran
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Any Idea What This Is?

Postby Snaga » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:48 am

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Perhaps it is a disassociative episode?

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:44 am

Postby Baventhiran » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:04 am

Thanks for the welcome, Snaga.
-------------
It does sound like a disassociative episode but if it is so, Jill will be experiencing something else in her mind while talking about that greater things, no?

Jill's mind was completely blank when that incident happened. It's like a gap in her memory plus that action is one that Jill will never do live.
-------------
Another way to put it is her conscious mind will never make her perform the act, but she has the capability to perform based on her mind/memory has.
-------------
It's like
> I have a knife and I know I can use it stab myself
> but I will never do it consciously
> because my conscious mind controls the potential action
> although I have the capabilty to do it.
Baventhiran
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Snaga » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:41 pm

I'm not wanting to put labels on this, but there are plenty of users here, in the DID forum and otherwise, that will have gaps in their memory. If... and that's a big if... Jill was experiencing disassociation, 'Jill' is in a sense not there at the time. Some other personality might be fronting, and the Jill that usually presents to the world is 'away'. Sometimes these things happen when the 'main' personality is conscious of what's going on (that happens with me, at least what I'm aware of), and sometimes in some people, there isn't co-consciousness.

Baventhiran wrote:Another way to put it is her conscious mind will never make her perform the act, but she has the capability to perform based on her mind/memory has.
-------------
It's like
> I have a knife and I know I can use it stab myself
> but I will never do it consciously
> because my conscious mind controls the potential action
> although I have the capabilty to do it.

If it's disassociation, it depends on which part of her mind is playing the 'conscious' part, surely! And hopefully the system as a whole, would have something in place to prevent anything too serious from happening.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby Baventhiran » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:19 am

Snaga wrote:Some other personality might be fronting, and the Jill that usually presents to the world is 'away'. Sometimes these things happen when the 'main' personality is conscious of what's going on (that happens with me, at least what I'm aware of), and sometimes in some people, there isn't co-consciousness.

Snaga wrote:If it's disassociation, it depends on which part of her mind is playing the 'conscious' part, surely!

You know how when you dream, you do certain things in your dream that you know you would rather not do when awake? Imaging you doing it when awake without knowing that you're doing it.

For example, Jack was flying in his dream last night. The next day evening when awake and near a cliff, suddenly his waken mind goes blank and his body jumps off the cliff to 'fly' where is waken mind doesn't know his body is doing it.

On a partially unrelated note, is dreaming considered disassociation too?

Snaga wrote:And hopefully the system as a whole, would have something in place to prevent anything too serious from happening.

Yeah I am afraid of that too, so I have been looking for a solution.
Baventhiran
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Snaga » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:54 pm

I have harm OCD.

I might also have some sort of disassociation. Call it... OSDD- I don't think (but if I did how would I know it) I have complete switching of personalities but I've identified like five other distinct personalities in me that I think are mostly less well-defined than in full blown DID but still they're there.

One of them is fairly dark, he's the angry, destructive one. My harm OCD really, really wants to worry about that, because people with intrusive OCD fears or thoughts will worry themselves sick over that they won't be able to stop themselves from doing something destructive or being whatever it is that they fear.

And when my brain starts to touch on that I have to stop, and back away from that line of thought, and have some faith that in my 50 plus years on this planet, I haven't done anything serious to myself, that I wasn't perfectly aware of. IF there is disassociation, even full DID- and maybe especially in that case, because a person with fragmented compartments like that, constitutes a system. That was created to deal with something or somethings that were traumatic or just too stressful, whatever. Childhood trauma is the usual event given as a reason for it to have started. So you go peruse DID forum you'll see a lot of systems have one or more Protectors, whose job it is to protect the whole in various ways. I'm sure some Protectors also know when to put the brakes on something potentially fatal or very injurious. Otherwise I suppose we'd run short of folks with DID for them jumping off cliffs all the time.

So while I have an 'alt' (not claiming I really do have Alters, just for convenience sake that's what I'll call it) who kind of scares the others, I have to have faith that the others have been keeping him in check for God knows how long, and that they'll continue to, since as a whole, we- I, me- have no desire to seriously harm myself or others. I say serious, because actually self-harm is what brought me to PF, I have a tendency to hurt myself when under too much stress, or remorse, etc. But except for two or three rare times, I don't go too far in harming myself that it's going to be something that might require medical attention. I mean, yeah it leaves a mark but I'm careful to not usually go too far with it.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby Snaga » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:55 pm

I don't consider dreaming disassociation, but I don't know much either, so. I don't see why it would be.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby Baventhiran » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:00 am

Wow, I am sorry about your condition.

If I understand you correctly, whenever your personalty switches, your core is aware but gives in to the switched personality.

Let's say your personality switches from normal OCD to harm OCD, your core is the same, correct?

Try repetition (e.g. whenever you switch to harm OCD, use your core to pull it back to norm OCD, keep doing and one day the harm will be weak enough to be fully controlled -- it requires discipline and patience though so it's all it you.)

Unfortunately for my case, the core changes too so I am completely unaware of the happenings. I'm the Jill by the way of a different name and scenario but exactly same concept.
Baventhiran
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby TheGangsAllHere » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:14 am

In DID/OSDD there is no "core." All the parts are alters, and the one who fronts the most is usually considered the host. There are many kinds of switches. Some are the classic blackout switches, where the one who was in front is no longer aware of what's happening in the outside world, and another alter is in front. When the first one returns, they will have no awareness of what happened.

From there, there is a whole spectrum of what a switch is like--there can still be awareness of what's happening but no control. Or two parts can be in front and cooperating about what's happening.

More often than switches, alters who aren't in front will influence what the host does--there will be intrusions of feelings, impulses, thoughts, etc, that the host experiences as "not theirs," or the host feels very uncomfortable about those thoughts and feelings and often tries to push them away.

Treatment for other kinds of disorders will not help if it's DID/OSDD. The treatment is longterm talk therapy (psychotherapy) with someone who has experience treating it.
TheGangsAllHere
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:44 am

Postby Una+ » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:14 am

Not a diagnosis. In this hypothetical situation there are 3 likely alternatives:
  • Deception
  • DID
  • Some other condition involving amnesia

There is nothing delusional here. Delusion is a fixed belief contrary to evidence. Not remembering something that just happened is amnesia, not a fixed belief.
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:44 am

Next

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post