Our partner

Any Idea What This Is?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: thegentlepath

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Re: Any Idea What This Is?

Postby Baventhiran » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:49 am

TheGangsAllHere wrote:Some are the classic blackout switches, where the one who was in front is no longer aware of what's happening in the outside world, and another alter is in front. When the first one returns, they will have no awareness of what happened.

This sounds exactly like what it is.

TheGangsAllHere wrote:From there, there is a whole spectrum of what a switch is like--there can still be awareness of what's happening but no control. Or two parts can be in front and cooperating about what's happening.

Definitely no awareness, I (the first/front) have tried to recall after seeing the outcome but to no avail.

TheGangsAllHere wrote:More often than switches, alters who aren't in front will influence what the host does--there will be intrusions of feelings, impulses, thoughts, etc, that the host experiences as "not theirs," or the host feels very uncomfortable about those thoughts and feelings and often tries to push them away.

I wish I (the first/front) have the awareness of the occurrence to know and act.

TheGangsAllHere wrote:Treatment for other kinds of disorders will not help if it's DID/OSDD. The treatment is longterm talk therapy (psychotherapy) with someone who has experience treating it.

I have tried psychotherapy (managed to find one here, the rest are psychiatrists (if they relate)) but it didn't work (maybe because she was new and could not determine what the problem is).

Have also tried psychiatrists (this was referred to by a neurologist), they all refuse to diagnose but provided me medication anyway (Sertraline; Seroxat), they failed to work (since the incidents still happen during).
--------
Una+ wrote:Not a diagnosis. In this hypothetical situation there are 3 likely alternatives:
  • Deception
  • DID
  • Some other condition involving amnesia

There is nothing delusional here. Delusion is a fixed belief contrary to evidence. Not remembering something that just happened is amnesia, not a fixed belief.

Okay, understood. I mentioned delusion because I didn't know what that problem really is till you all provided possibilities closer to what it is.
Baventhiran
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:50 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Una+ » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:59 pm

Getting a valid diagnosis of a mental health problem requires clear verbal communication. So, it is important to use technical words accurately or to not use them. It is much easier to not use them; to use them accurately means at least looking them up in an encyclopedia.
Dx DID older woman married w kids. 0 Una, host + 3, 1, 5. 1 animal. 2 older man. 3 teen girl. 4 girl behind amnesia wall. 5 girl in love. Our thread.
Una+
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:50 pm

Postby Baventhiran » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:21 am

Thanks for your advise, Una+.

Sorry but for me it is not much easier to not use them because if I don't, I will not get answers/possibilities, so I had to use something like I did to get possibilities from you and the others. Also, I am not you to know or/and have what you already know/have. Hope you understand.
Baventhiran
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:50 am

Previous

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post