Our partner

Is anyone watching me or reading my mind?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Is anyone watching me or reading my mind?

Postby Wrynona » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:01 pm

Is it possible that someone might be watching me or reading my mind?
Wrynona
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:24 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is anyone watching me or reading my mind?

Postby Snaga » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:37 pm

I'm undecided on mind-reading, although I have had tenuous mental connections with people before, over long distances. But more feelings and ideas and a sense of well being, or more usually, the lack thereof. Sometimes I'll know what someone is thinking, before they actually say it- but that's someone I'm in tune with.

Do you think someone's watching you? Or reading your mind in an unwelcome fashion?

Oh and I like the user name- I have an appreciation for clever plays on user names.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Local time: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:24 pm

Postby Wrynona » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:54 pm

Snaga wrote:I'm undecided on mind-reading, although I have had tenuous mental connections with people before, over long distances. But more feelings and ideas and a sense of well being, or more usually, the lack thereof. Sometimes I'll know what someone is thinking, before they actually say it- but that's someone I'm in tune with.

Do you think someone's watching you? Or reading your mind in an unwelcome fashion?

Oh and I like the user name- I have an appreciation for clever plays on user names.

How do I stop someone from reading my mind?
Wrynona
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:24 am

Postby Snaga » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:28 pm

If you mean outright telepathy; I'm not satisfied it exists- I wouldn't know how to stop it if it does- I just know I've had close connections with people before, rarely. But that doesn't answer the question, do you think it's being done to you? Who, and why would they?

Also it would be helpful if you have a professional diagnosis of anything- often times you can get better answers, in a particular forum- this one is more the 'catch all' forum for topics that fall in the cracks- but if this concern of yours, is linked to something that you suffer from, then I could point you to a better forum. For example, I'm OCD so when I have trouble with intrusive thoughts that's the place for me to be.

If you don't have a formal diagnosis of anything that's fine; just that knowing if you do have one, we could perhaps help you better by placing this in a forum that will generate the most discussion, compared to this one.

Tell someone you love them today, for Life is short. But scream it at them in Klingon, for Life is also terrifying and confusing.

We do not delete posts.
Let it go.
Without (forum) rules, we all might as well be up in a tree flinging our crap at each other.
Snaga
Site Admin

Postby Gomba13 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:16 pm

No one can read your mind. It just doesn’t happen. What might seem to you like people reading your mind are three things: deduction, synchronicity and empathy.

Deduction is when people have a more or less accurate idea of what you might be thinking based on their observation of you: your facial expression, body language, tone of voice, behaviour and your words. If you fidget a lot and keep looking at the time, it is easy to deduct you are in a hurry to leave, which would not be the only possibility but the most likely one.

Synchronicity is when two people have the same idea at the same time completely accidentally. It happens to me often that just as I am thinking of eating, someone around me says “Aren’t you hungry?” We just happen to be hungry at the same time. It even happens with really precise things. One time, I was going to suggest to someone that we might be characters in a specific book, and just as I opened my mind to say it out loud, the person asked me if I have read the same specific book.

Empathy, as you may already know, is when we tune into the emotions of another person, mostly based on their facial expression and their words, to feel the way they do. If we are good at empathy, we can easily deduct from the emotions of the other person what they are thinking.

The important thing to note is that, in all of these cases, we are not actually reading the mind of the other and we don’t actually know what they are thinking. We simply appear to be reading their minds. It’s really more a guessing game, and we regularly guess it right.
Gomba13
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post