Our partner

one sided conversations

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

one sided conversations

Postby ttt123 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:31 pm

I know a couple of people who have mental illness. They ignore questions and just say something totally unrelated in response to a question.

Like I may ask how was your date? And they answer with "I'm trying this new diet and exercise regime etc...." And never answer the question.

Then I ask another question it doesn't get answered, they just go on about something else.

What is this?
ttt123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: one sided conversations

Postby lilyfairy » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:51 am

It's called changing the subject. It's not something unique to people with a mental illness.

People do it when they don't want to discuss the thing you are asking about. People do it when they're not comfortable answering such personal questions. It's another way of saying "mind your own business".
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:52 am

Postby thegentlepath » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:24 pm

I agree with lilyfairy. ‘Avoidance’ might be the term you’re looking for? They might feel they’re being interrogated.
thegentlepath
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (115)

Postby ttt123 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:53 am

I don't think that's what they are doing. I am not aggressive or rude, just asking normal daily questions, like "how did you date go" and they talk about something else instead.
ttt123
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby thegentlepath » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:31 pm

It sounds like you know the situation better than us then. Have you tried asking the person why they aren’t answering your question about their date? Or do they just go off on another tangent?
thegentlepath
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (115)

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post