Our partner

The all disorders and transverse thread

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: thegentlepath

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

The all disorders and transverse thread

Postby HSS » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:12 am

I think that psychology is too much box divided; it's pragmatic, but sometimes it becomes artificial. We all are human beings and what looks like different could come from a common root or could be somehow similar.

So, this thread is for topics about:

- general psychology - including info and opinions about psychological books and essays, reviews,...

- pacific discussions to find analogies between different personalities, or to compare them and to learn each other

- transverse problematics touching different sub-forums (methods to increase self-knowledge, professional problems, social strategies, nocturnal dreams, and so on). This third one is perhaps less useful as this sub-forum seems conform to this need, but I don't understand very well then I write it too.
“Humor is reason gone mad."

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
HSS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:53 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: The all disorders and transverse thread

Postby HSS » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:33 pm

Transverse topic no. 1 - OTHERS' RIGHT DIMENSION

I thought about it after reading a post about “Alice in Wonderland syndrome” on the schizoid sub-forum. If you have this syndrome, you see the world around bigger or smaller than it is.
In its strictest conception, it's a psychotic mechanism. I know that it happens a lot to people suffering schizophrenia.

But if we consider it in its largest meaning, it could involve many personalities.

I guess that Cluster B personalities decrease others' real dimensions, in their mental representation.
It could be that there is an initial diminution in narcissism (narcissists communicate with others, even emotionally, but they feel that they are “higher” than others), and this gradually increases until the most severe psychopathy, where others are so small that they become invisible, or similar to ants, and the same wish to communicate stops.

Schizoids seem to ignore social life, I am not sure how they perceive others' dimension.

Those who are someone else's addicted, and maybe those suffering anxiety or depression, could increase others' mental representation.

So, what are your experiences?

HSS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby HSS » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:51 pm

This is the original thread - "copyright" by KvoTheRaven:

schizotypal-personality/topic204724.html

This is a review about the syndrome, in its pathological aspect:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4909520/

As I read that time can be distorted too, I wonder if someone noticed a constant relationship in spacial and temporal misperception.

HSS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby HSS » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:11 am

Transverse topic no. 1 - OTHERS' RIGHT DIMENSION

A very, very interesting essay about topic no. 1:

Where am I? Who am I? The Relation Between Spatial Cognition, Social Cognition and Individual Differences in the Built Environment, by Michael J. Proulx and others.
Here -> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4749931/

I find it absolutely well-written and very interesting; maybe I will deepen some passage from it, about narcissism, in the specific sub-forum, but I wished to share the whole essay here.

HSS
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post