Our partner

I'm at a loss

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

I'm at a loss

Postby anxiousguy96 » Mon May 04, 2020 8:31 pm

I have neurological problems and I know it. Hospitals have refused to assess me. I managed to get a neurology appointment for today but it was canceled due to COVID. So instead, the neurologist is going to do a phone consult with me tomorrow. How is she going to assess my faculties over a phone? Makes no sense. I'm getting worse and worse and I'm concerned for my well-being, but no one considers this urgent. I'm frustrated, angry and depressed. I was put on meds for anxiety recently because of the worry I've been having, but now I'm even worse since starting them. Nothing is helping. What do I do? :cry:
anxiousguy96
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:52 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I'm at a loss

Postby lilyfairy » Tue May 05, 2020 9:36 am

The whole COVID situation is making medical appointments difficult for a lot of people right now. Sadly phone/internet might be the best we have to work with for the moment.

I know I present myself differently during a skype call compared to a face to face appointment. My last appt with the psychiatrist he said he wasn't seeing my autism diagnosis because I managed eye contact during the video call so well. Told him that if we were face to face in a room, it would be very different. I'm ok with looking at the screen but face to face my head would be down almost the whole time.

I'm assuming they will do their best to make an assessment as well as they can within the limitations. They may even come up with some kind of interim arrangements until you can see them face to face.

Would recommend writing out any important things you want to tell them and any questions you want to ask before you start the appointment to have in front of you. I've usually written out my history in dot points as well to go through with them if I need that. I've found I end up forgetting important stuff I wanted to say when I got in there if I didn't.

Hope it goes as well as it can for you.
First rule of mental health: Learn to distinguish who deserves an explanation, who deserves only one answer, and who deserves absolutely nothing.

Forum Rules

Whatever you're doing today, do it with the confidence of a four-year-old in a Batman t-shirt.
lilyfairy
Site Admin

Local time: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:52 pm

Re: I'm at a loss

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Thu May 07, 2020 6:20 pm

See if you have any type of advocacy services where you live, and if not, see if you can get ahold of the administration sect of the hospital or neurologist's organization to file a complaint. Sometimes they can make things happen.
They collect information to stock pile in their souls, saying, "I will tuck this into my subconscious for later use."  ~ unknown
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:52 am

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post