Our partner

How do you reply to "How are you?" when you're not okay?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: quietgirl2538

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

How do you reply to "How are you?" when you're not okay?

Postby Cherryblossom7968 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:53 am

You know, when it's just a casual/passing conversation and not a therapy session or deep conversation with a close friend or significant other.
I value honesty and am a bit cynical of the norm to say you're good, yet I very often say "good!" and pretend I am. Sometimes that makes me feel fake... or at least kind of weird that I lied about how I feel. Sometimes I try to be a bit more honest, but usually I don't really want to get too far into it in these situations. Sometimes I say fine in a somewhat weird tone due to not knowing how to answer, which does not quite feel right either lol

Also, I'm kind of socially awkward/anxious, so that might contribute to this not knowing how to respond. :P

Curious to hear how others handle this situation, or any insight on the topic of communicating comfortably about your mental health on a surface-level. Hope to hear your thoughts! :)
Cherryblossom7968
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How do you reply to "How are you?" when you're not okay?

Postby Tyler » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:53 am

I recommend trying to say something else with someone you're comfortable with. Do you talk to and like your parents? If you're mom asks, say, "I'm terrible," or if a friend asks that, say that. That's how I got over it. I used my mom and my boyfriend. Now, I have no problem with it. If I don't want a conversation with someone though, I just say, "Oh, you know, I'm okay, same old same old," and keep walking.

Sometimes little white lies work. :wink:
Email me if you want a doughnut
Diagnosed: Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-polar type Rapid Cycling.

Forum Rules

Heck
Tyler
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby AArgon » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:40 pm

I hate when people say that. I just say OK. Once I was so miserable that I said 'miserable".
AArgon
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby MakersDozn » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:09 pm

Q. "How are you?"
A. "Hangin' in."

Provides the required superficial answer without triggering feelings of inauthenticity.

MDs
Multiple self-dxed 1996. Body 58f, no original. System of 47: 42 ♀, 5 ♂; 17 littles (7+under), 9 middles (8-11), 14 teens (12-17+), 5 bigs (18+up), + a formless yin/yang. Oldest member is 25.

Notable: Charity 25, Deborah 23, Drew 23f, Mary 23, Rachel 23, Laura 17.5, Allegra 17, Cass 17, shawn 16f.
Blog | Our Story | Journey
MakersDozn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby thegentlepath » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:16 pm

It depends on who’s asking & why. I just say good. I don’t think of it as an actual question, but more of a greeting. I’m not much of a chit chatter though, so maybe I think that way because it keeps the conversation short.
thegentlepath
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (103)

Postby handsomejaack » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:26 pm

You have to realize its just a passing convo its the lingo not any real concern
people i pass used to be like "hey man u good?", or "how are you man?"
and i used to think "o $#%^ do they know there is something wrong? o $#%^ they are on to me they know im feeling like hurting people today"
(my backstory im bipolar and im narcissist so my "lows" dont make me feel like hurting myself, im a narc and it protects me from wanting to hurt myself...you dont hurt a god right?, so my lows manifest themselves in rage , i have been dealing with it for 40 years so its a suppressed rage, i control it)
anyway i would think holy crap they know.....but over the years i realize they dont know its just a passing phrase, you good man?
yea man just tired today is my response, or yea man just burned out and keep it moving.
most people you meet dont really care how you are really doing they are just saying the phrases not really focusing on you.
just keep it moving, dont think too deep and dont reveal anything abnormal, the key is to "blend in" dont get too deep on it.
handsomejaack
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post