Our partner

Difficult expressing myself

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: quietgirl2538

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Difficult expressing myself

Postby Neverfeelaccepted » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:27 am

Does anyone else have this problem ?
Neverfeelaccepted
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Difficult expressing myself

Postby thegentlepath » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:01 pm

Yes. It’s why I find drawing, dancing, singing & other forms of movement so helpful. Handwriting my thoughts & feelings with both my dominant & non dominant hands also helps.
thegentlepath
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (103)

Re: Difficult expressing myself

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:34 am

The was a time when I couldn't talk.
There was just no point in trying - even though I sometimes did because I didn't want to remain prisoner inside myself.
There was nothing left in me and there were no words, so there was no point in elaborating.

It may have been that I had lost the ability for "spontaneous speech" (aka was experiencing "alogia" in fancy pharmaceutical-drug-dealer terms which is associated with negative symptoms in many schizo disorders).

Or, more likely, major depression with psychotic features.

And the antipsychotics were not only ineffective, but they were also flatlining me which contributed to the depression.

I went off the antipsychotics and I'm able to express myself again. Coincidence or not, who knows.

Still, for the most part, I struggle with identifying my feelings, and expressing myself can still be difficult when I'm angry, tired, flooded or after I've been isolating.
Movement while expressing myself and writing things down also helps me when it's difficult to express myself.

* Note: I'm not suggesting anyone go off their antipsychotics with out professional support
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post