Our partner

dealing with being invalidated by doctors

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: quietgirl2538

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

dealing with being invalidated by doctors

Postby rebellious » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:38 pm

Hi people!

I just felt I needed to get this thing off my chest that has been bugging me:
A few days ago I visited the psychiatric emergency for the fifth time this year, I felt like I couldn't wait for my doctors appointment to adjust my antidepressants.
So I needed a new prescription and the doctor I met kept arguing with me when I told him about my symptoms, basically saying "don't do that, that's not good for you, try to get out more etc".

It didn't seem to matter to him when I explained that I've been trying everything in order to not be depressed, you name it- I've tried it. Healthy diet and exercise, meditation and yoga, religion and spiritual conversations, community work and furthering my education.. Yet I got depressed again for the millionth time and it has taken everything away from me since I have no energy or motivation to do anything anymore.
He even asked me if I thought that antidepressants was "just going to magically make my problems disappear" even though he knew I was suicidal and had been dealing with depression/medications on and off for years now.

I managed to get through that horrible visit and explain that it was either suicide or meds and that I don't want to let depression win.
But afterwords I am arguing in my head and trying to remind myself that my depression is valid and that I'm not being a whiny asshole that doesn't want to deal with life.

I knew he was stressed out since he was the only doctor in that unit and he was swamped with visitors but what he said got to me. Probably because I doubt myself every day even though I know I was so sad to see my active life disappear in front of me and that I am completely unrecognisable now.

I know that I'm far from alone in being invalidated by doctors and other people who think that your condition can be cured by either this or that and that you're just not trying hard enough.
So how do you deal with being invalidated?

I feel like I have to defend something that I didn't even want in the first place and that messes with my head. I don't even want to have to explain and convince people of my symptoms, I want them to go away so I don't have to deal with doctors ever again.
rebellious
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:58 pm
Blog: View Blog (3)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post