Our partner

Guilt/shame as an adult w support needs

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: quietgirl2538

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Guilt/shame as an adult w support needs

Postby catsup » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:38 pm

I feel a lot of really intense guilt and shame that I'm almost 30, I still live at home, I can't work because of mental illness and autism, and I get disability income support. I isolate myself a lot too, which probably makes things worse, but it feels comfortable and safe.

There's two sides of this experience for me. One side is deep shame, guilt, embarrassment, isolation. I don't want anyone to know, I don't want to bump into people from college, I don't want to meet new people. The other side is a feeling of relief, because I know what it's like to struggle in school, at work, living alone, and how bad it can get. My current situation is the best possible one I could be in, and I try to remind myself of that. It just sucks some days to realize I'll probably be this way the rest of my life.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else is like this or relates to me?
catsup
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:11 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Guilt/shame as an adult w support needs

Postby Disco1 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:36 am

im pretty isolated right now through mental illness. years ago i had many friends, a girlfriend, a good job, hobbies and interests.

drug addiction which led to schizophrenia caused me to lose these things. i now live with my parent, im unemployed on disability, have just 1 friend who i rarely see.

but i dont feel guilty and neither should you.

your mental health is the reason you're in the situation you are now.

dont blame yourself.

you dont know you'll be like this for the rest of your life.
Disco1
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:11 pm

Postby ShaolinMonk » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:06 pm

I can't work because of mental illness and autism, and I get disability income support.

My current situation is the best possible one I could be in, and I try to remind myself of that.

Acceptance. If you are doing the best you can, accept that.
Each has a different set of cards in life, and we must play them to the best of our ability.

You didn't quit. And that says more than you realize.
ShaolinMonk
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:11 am

Postby floatingtree » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:55 am

Society is pretty bad when you think about it. Kids who are a bit different get treated like crap, and then they grow up to have mental health issues.

If they were treated respectfully, sure they might have some difficulties when they grow up, but at least they wouldn't have crippling shame, guilt, anxiety, phobias and so on.
floatingtree
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:11 pm
Blog: View Blog (12)

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post