Our partner

Time and its acceleration

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: quietgirl2538

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Time and its acceleration

Postby RottingNeurons » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:26 pm

So, as a child, my parents told me that time would move faster and faster. Of course, being around 8 or 9 at the time i first heard that, i had no concept of what that meant. From the time when i was 22 (1999) until about 35ish (2012) i was a daily wake-n-bake stoner, so a good deal of that time is a blur. Over the course of the last 7 years not smoking herb, i got heavily involved in alcohol for a couple of those years, so much so that i ended up admitted inpatient for physical medical issues twice and committed to the psych ward for 4 days. Since last July, i have been sober. I have somehow been able to turn my drinking habits from black-out drunk every night to a mindset of not needing or even wanting it anymore. I only say all of this just to give some idea of where my mind was at the time. Fast forward to today, it seems to me that there are fewer and fewer minutes in the day. It is fall, and the daylight periods are getting shorter, and im keenly aware of this, so i dont believe that this is causing it, plus ive been noticing it all year. Is this just a symptom of getting old? Is time just a construct? A figment of our collective imaginations? Am i hallucinating all of this? That last part is kinda joking, but not really. Ive had that thought in the back of my mind since i was a very small child. It was probably one of the first concepts i tried tackling that was well beyond my capability of understanding. One of my favorite things to do to be honest, ever since i was knee high to a duck.
RottingNeurons
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Time and its acceleration

Postby avatar123 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:47 pm

This phenomena is well known to most older people. It partially has to do with your frame of reference. The more time you have in your experience, the less each passing minute seems to be out of that collective time.

Another factor is that your thought process evolves to take in and consider many more things around you as you get older and have more responsibilities. For example when young, you mainly have the tasks in front of you personally, and yourself to worry about. As you get older, your viewpoints begin to take in many others, such as parents, children, coworkers, etc. Plus your understanding of the world evolves to a more complex world view, things are not as simple as they were when you were younger. Also you are probably busier.

So you spend more time thinking about these things and keeping busy, but time doesn't go any slower while you do that, so the net appearance to you is that time goes faster.

I always remember that school summer vacations used to seem like forever when I was young, but now they seem to fly right by and actually seem short. Just a natural difference in perspective.
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post