Our partner

Can someone confirm the legitimacy of my concerns?

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.
*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Can someone confirm the legitimacy of my concerns?

Postby mansnils » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:09 pm

For over 10 years I've had various unexplained physical symptoms. My father tries to downplay them by explaining that the body is a living thing and that things happen to it all the time and that this is all normal. The following are my chronic symptoms:

* Throbbing tension headache / migraine
    * Severe fatigue to the point of being a vegetable 99% of the time
    * Completely shut off emotionally
    * No sense of touch
    * No sense of taste
    * No sense of smell
    * Visual disturbances where small transparent dots oscillate and give the impression of objects oscillating left and right
    * Tingling
    * Burning/Buzzing
    * Stuck thoughts
    * Unable to fall asleep

Can someone confirm that my symptoms can legitimately raise concern in my case? I believe these symptoms are not normal and indicative of an underlying illness.
mansnils
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:39 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Can someone confirm the legitimacy of my concerns?

Postby Ixion » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:21 pm

This is definitely the kind of thing I'd have checked out, particularly if you're often having no sense of touch. I'm not a doctor or anything, but that would worry the heck out of me.
Ixion
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:39 pm

Postby mansnils » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:45 pm

StuckInGuilt wrote:This is definitely the kind of thing I'd have checked out, particularly if you're often having no sense of touch. I'm not a doctor or anything, but that would worry the heck out of me.

Thanks for giving me support through my long-term troubles.
mansnils
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Homestead » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:08 pm

Are you saying you've never sought the help of a physician for any of this?
Homestead
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:39 pm

Postby mansnils » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:42 pm

Homestead wrote:Are you saying you've never sought the help of a physician for any of this?

I have. The problem is they haven't done a thorough assessment of my health, they haven't put in any effort into giving me a correct diagnosis and they're ignoring all of symptoms except the depression, which they've given me medication for then and now.
mansnils
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Taramafor » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:36 pm

Your farther is an idiot. Not something I'm saying to be mean. Is an honest answer because the world is full of ignorant people.

The body is like a machine. You can maintain it. It doesn't HAVE to feel wore down. You don't HAVE to get fat as you get older. People that say that are either jealous and make excuses. Or otherwise haven't even considered the possibility of actually making an attempt to look after themselves. Which would be ignorant.

Make. That. Attempt.

Even something as simple and basic as a simple bath works wonders. Lots of HEALTH benefits to it. Not the least of which is lowering your cortisol levels. That's the stuff in your body that makes you feel really intense. But it also makes you age before your time if you're stressed/depressed a lot.

A simple warm drink can help counter or even prevent something like a headache.

Remaining agile and keeping the body loose from time to time can help prevent problems where the body becomes stiff when you're older. And if you wait until it's too late you might not be able to loosen that knee.

There's diet too. I need to cut back on having three candy bars a day. Nothing to do with weight. I can feel my body not agreeing with it. Brain tends to know better, but in this case my body is talking to me.

If you fixate on the negatives a lot you are much more likely to get a brain tumour. My dad had one but it was removed with no complications. He has a habit of fixating on every little detail. Now, granted, I do that too but I focus on the positives as well as the negatives. Other people that focus on the positives as well seem to have less health problems. That said be wary of acting like sunshine and rainbows and that everything is fun. That's probably denial. And counter productive to health (and risks sanity).

Honestly, change your mental mindset and lifestyle choices and you can be a lot healthier. And happier. It's good that you're looking for answers and proof. However, a lot of people will make claims WITHOUT proof beyond "Because I said so". And this includes professionals. Examine the logic of what is said and figure out (not decide) for yourself what the truth is. The reason I state "figure out" instead of "decide" is because believing isn't a choice. It's a desire. You either trust or you do not.

Personally I find being pedantic helps prevent a lot of issues. Also causes some, but you get the bad with the good. I tend to focus on the mental more then the physical but in this case we're talking about the body as well. Baths. A little running around. Getting more sleep and staying out of the cold and wet rain to improve your mood. The list goes on.

I'm going to move on to the symptoms you listed and try to speculate what a possible answer may be (and solution if I can come up with one).
Taramafor
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:39 pm

Postby Taramafor » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:19 pm

Blast. I listed the possible causes and possible solutions but I can't edit the post anymore. So... I lost all my responses listing each symptom. Ok, nutshell time.

You seem to suffer from depression and possible health problems. What concerns me the most physically is the burning. Heartburn perhaps but it could be something more. A hurt head is either high stress (which can make your head want to explode) or it could be a tumour. Does it happen in a specific spot or the whole head?

Overthinking isn't a bad thing in and of itself. Not finding answers is. We don't always control what we think/remember. Focus and find answers. Ask questions. To people you know as well as yourself. Try to be unbiased. Don't feel like a burden if someone accept you with your problems. etc.

Lack of sleep can happen with a lot of thoughts. It happens. You could take meds or something but it won't change the core problems. Until the core problems are addressed (or you got so used to it you don't have to even think anymore) that will continue.

You also might be detached and not caring much. Or even at all. This however can be a good thing at times. If you don't have a REASON to care then you don't have a reason. If however you know you care and someone else does (even if it doesn't feel like it) then that's where communication comes in. And the lack of it. A big factor could be guilt. Which I would suggest turning into responsibility instead.

Also, I strongly advise you see a doctor. Things like a lack of taste and smell could indicate being detached with yourself (first it happens emotionally but then it happens physically as well) but it could also indicate physical health issues. See a doctor. Don't see a doctor. Up to you and wherever you care about yourself or not.

Oh, the circle dots on your eyes. I had that happen to me. It seems to be normal. Tiny little dots dancing across your eyes, right?
Taramafor
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:39 pm

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post