Our partner

Psychotic episode

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: quietgirl2538

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Psychotic episode

Postby Skye0285 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi I am new here - I am 34 years old.

In advance, if this post doesn't belong here please move it. :)

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism/underactive thyroid in 2011 but did not receive treatment for this until 2013 when I developed myxoedema (severe hypothyroidism)

I have recently been experiencing myxoedema madness/psychosis (psychosis caused by severe hypothyroidism) which can worsen during periods of acute stress.

I informed a previous employer I had hypothyroidism and she said "you're too thin and young to have that" - back then I was 31. The hypothyroidism when not very well treated has been known to affect my thoughts, memory, information retention, stamina, weight, digestion, energy and also my ability to drive. I was involved in 2 car accidents the same year and in 2017 my stepdad has been telling other people I had a nervous breakdown.

I have got support from a previous employer (I regard him as a friend because he has been very positive and encouraging regarding this and he and I are still in touch since he works the other side of the building to me) and he told me when he took me off for a chat "not everyone has illnesses that others can see."

However today I had a psychotic episode which caused a fellow employee to make hurtful comments about my behaviour. I can suffer paranoia and become quick to anger but then fall into a really low depressive state before feeling any better.

I have an endocrinologist appointment coming up in 2 weeks and I do want to tell the consultant about this issue. The only thing is that back in 2011 my GP did not medicate me for the hypothyroidism (I had iron deficiency anaemia as well at the time which also wasn't dealt with) and I was given a diagnosis of general anxiety disorder.

I just feel like if I tell the consultant about the psychotic episode in a couple of weeks I'll be seen as someone who is mentally unstable and I am very upset about the whole thing.

Thanks for reading.
Skye0285
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:09 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Psychotic episode

Postby Tyler » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:01 pm

Whenever I started having my psychotic episodes, the very first thing they checked was my thyroid. Thyroid issues, I'm pretty sure, can cause these kinds of issues. Having been diagnosed with what you have been, it may be why you had the episode. Either way, I'd tell them about it. It's never a good idea to keep things like that from medical professionals.
Email me if you want a doughnut
ImageImageImage

Diagnosed: Schizoaffective Disorder Bi-polar type Rapid Cycling.

Medication: Geodone 160 MG, Lexapro 5mg

Forum Rules

Heck
Tyler
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:09 pm
Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views