Our partner

Having Trouble Being Creative

Open Discussions about how Mental Illness affects your life.

Moderator: quietgirl2538

*****PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING HERE*****

When posting on Psychforums.com please try to pick the forum you think best fits your post. If your post would fit in a specialized forum (there are more than 100 forums here) then please post there rather than in the "Living With Mental Illness" forum. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter. Moderators could move your thread without notice if they feel it is fitting better into another forum.

The Mod Team

Having Trouble Being Creative

Postby WhyDoIExist » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:24 am

So, I like to write and draw, and I post my stuff online. My friends even look forward to seeing what I make, and it makes me really happy.
However, due to the depression and anxiety that comes with my fears and bad thoughts, I haven't really gotten around to doing any writing or drawing lately. It sucks, because I'll often feel guilty and horrible for having a good time in any capacity, like I don't deserve to be happy.
WhyDoIExist
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:49 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Having Trouble Being Creative

Postby Ixion » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:36 pm

I'm not often creative myself, but I know how it feels to have depression sap your motivation to do all kinds of things. It can hit your priorities, or make you feel like you're not spending your time the right way, when really there's no arbitrary rule on how you should get through your day. I have an artist friend who says that the biggest difficulty, particularly here in the US, is as a society we don't value art and creativity as a kind of work or productive behaviour but only as play, so we can feel guilty just for dabbling in it when there are more important things to do, but your life is your life. What's all the rest of it, work, bills, rent etc. if you don't get to do the stuff you enjoy?
Ixion
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:49 pm

Re: Having Trouble Being Creative

Postby realityhere » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:18 pm

Just show up in your studio or wherever you create/ write. You may only have the energy to clean up the area and organize, or prepare some canvases or sort writing references. That's ok. Sometimes the creative muse hits and sometimes it doesn't. I've found journaling helpful, just write down what is going on in my stream of consciousness, no editing, and sometimes my mind comes across something meaningfully creative. Such writing is just for myself, it loosens the fear of failure or not performing, yet it has given impetus to ideas I can express on paper or canvas that others can appreciate.

But just show up every day. Make it a daily habit, depression/ anxiety or not. Creative history is filled with artists who worked their creative craft despite their depression, because they showed up in their studios or at their desks.
We don't delete posts, so think twice before clicking "submit".
realityhere
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:49 pm

Return to Living With Mental Illness Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post